Calculating Magnetic Force of Fe+ ion at a Given Point

In summary, the magnetic force on a charge traveling through a magnetic field is given by the formula \vec F_m = q\vec V \times \vec B = q|V||B|\sin \alpha, where \alpha is the angle between the field vector and the velocity vector. However, it should be noted that the formula for the magnetic field term is proportional to q\vec B \times \vec V, not q\vec V \times \vec B, which can result in errors in the direction of the force.
athenaroa
A Fe+ ion is traveling at 200 m/sec in a direction 20 deg south of west at a point. The magnetic field at that point is 0.4 T directed at 10 deg west of south. What is the instantaneous magnetic force that acts on the Fe is how many Newtons?

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic force on a charge that travels through a magnetic field is:
[tex]\vec F_m = q\vec V \times \vec B = q|V||B|\sin \alpha[/tex]
([itex]\alpha[/tex] being the angle between the field vector and the velocity vector of course.)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Chen
The magnetic force on a charge that travels through a magnetic field is:
[tex]\vec F_m = q\vec B \times \vec V = q|B||V|\sin \alpha[/tex]
([itex]\alpha[/tex] being the angle between the field vector and the velocity vector of course.)

I normally would not be picky on such things. However, it should be corrected that the general form of Lorentz force for the magnetic field term is proportional to q(v x B), not q(B x v).

Since the original question involves the exact vectorial direction of the force, and since cross products are not commutative, this can produce an error in the direction.

Zz.

Of course, I've corrected my post. Thanks for pointing my mistake out. :smile: Usually I just use the right-hand rule to find the direction of the magnetic force.

Related to Calculating Magnetic Force of Fe+ ion at a Given Point

1. How do I calculate the magnetic force of a Fe+ ion at a given point?

To calculate the magnetic force of a Fe+ ion at a given point, you will need to know the magnitude of the ion's magnetic moment and the strength and direction of the magnetic field at that point. From there, you can use the equation F=qvBsinθ to calculate the magnetic force, where q is the charge of the ion, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

2. What is the magnetic moment of a Fe+ ion?

The magnetic moment of a Fe+ ion is a measure of its magnetic strength and direction. It is determined by the spin and orbital angular momentum of the ion's electrons. For Fe+ ions, the magnetic moment is typically around 5 Bohr magnetons (μB).

3. How is the direction of the magnetic force determined?

The direction of the magnetic force on a Fe+ ion at a given point can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the ion's velocity, your index finger in the direction of the magnetic field, and your middle finger will point in the direction of the magnetic force.

4. What units are used for the magnetic force of a Fe+ ion?

The magnetic force of a Fe+ ion is typically measured in Newtons (N). In some cases, it may also be measured in Tesla (T) if the magnetic field strength is known.

5. Can the magnetic force of a Fe+ ion be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic force of a Fe+ ion can be manipulated by changing the strength or direction of the magnetic field at the given point. This can be achieved through the use of electromagnets or permanent magnets. Additionally, by changing the velocity or charge of the ion, the magnetic force can also be altered.