Calculating Magnetic Fields in Cylinders w/ Currents

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the magnetic field in three different cases: r less than a, a less than r less than b, and r greater than b. The magnetic field in the first case is found using Ampere's law, resulting in H = (Jo r squared)/3a. However, there is confusion about the integration limits and the addition of magnetic fields in the other cases. The speaker requests assistance in finding the magnetic field in these cases.
Jimmy84

Homework Statement

Consider two infinitely long cylinders with radius a and b and currents:

J =

(Jo r)/a for r less than a

-Jo for a less than r less than b
Find the magnetic field in

1) r less than a

2) a less than r less than b

3) r greater than b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I was able to compute the magnetic field for r less than a

using Ampere's law

H 2 pi r = (the integral from 0 to a of) (Jo r) /a 2 pi r dr the result that I found for H was H = (Jo r squared )/3aIn the other cases I am confused about the integration limits and the addition of magnetic fields.
How can I find the magnetic field for a less than r less than b, and for r greater than b ?I would appreciate some help, thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone give me an idea how to solve this please? I ll truly appreciate it.

Related to Calculating Magnetic Fields in Cylinders w/ Currents

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field inside a cylinder with currents?

To calculate the magnetic field inside a cylinder with currents, you can use the formula B = μ0 * I * (1/2r), where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

2. What is the direction of the magnetic field inside a cylinder with currents?

The direction of the magnetic field inside a cylinder with currents is circular, with the field lines perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder.

3. How does the magnetic field inside a cylinder with currents vary with distance?

The magnetic field inside a cylinder with currents decreases as the distance from the center of the cylinder increases. This relationship follows an inverse square law, meaning that doubling the distance from the center will result in a quarter of the original magnetic field strength.

4. Can the magnetic field inside a cylinder with currents be zero?

Yes, the magnetic field inside a cylinder with currents can be zero if the current is zero or if the distance from the center of the cylinder is infinite.

5. How does changing the current or radius of the cylinder affect the magnetic field inside?

Increasing the current will result in a stronger magnetic field inside the cylinder, while increasing the radius will result in a weaker magnetic field. The relationship between these variables can be seen in the formula B = μ0 * I * (1/2r), where the current and radius are directly proportional to the magnetic field.