Calculating Magnetic Field Around Window Frame

In summary, the problem involves two long straight wires passing through a window frame, with one carrying 1A out of the room and the other carrying 8A in. Using Ampere's law, the magnetic field at a distance from the wires can be calculated, which is then used to find the magnitude of the closed integral of B*dl around the window frame. This involves the concept of line integrals, dot products, and vectors. The answer should be in Tesla-meters and can be obtained by using dimensional analysis.
miggitymark

Homework Statement

Sounds like the beginning to a bad joke right?

Two long straight wires pass through a window frame (1m x 1.5m). One wire carries 1A out of the room and one wire carries 8A in. Find magnitude of closed integral of vector B * vector dl around window frame.
Answer in Tesla*m

Homework Equations

B= mu*I / 2pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what the question is asking: What is this integral with a circle in it of the dot product of the B field and dl?

The wires have magnetic fields, they induce current through the window frame, which then has its own magnetic field. Is this what the questino is asking or does it want the field along the length of the edge if this frame?

thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
miggitymark said:

Homework Statement

Sounds like the beginning to a bad joke right?

Two long straight wires pass through a window frame (1m x 1.5m). One wire carries 1A out of the room and one wire carries 8A in. Find magnitude of closed integral of vector B * vector dl around window frame.
Answer in Tesla*m

Homework Equations

B= mu*I / 2pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what the question is asking: What is this integral with a circle in it of the dot product of the B field and dl?

The wires have magnetic fields, they induce current through the window frame, which then has its own magnetic field. Is this what the questino is asking or does it want the field along the length of the edge if this frame?

thanks for reading

I think you are talking about the line integral about a closed path, which is represented as the integral symbol with an "o" in the middle.

As to the problem I think you want to be considering Ampere's law:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/magnetic/amplaw.html

YES! the line integral, which I have no idea what that is so I'm looking it up.

So using Ampere's law (which relates much better to this problem) I set up:

The window is 1.5m wide (X) and 1m tall (Y) and I is 7 Amps

B= 7*mu / 2X+2Y which equals 7mu / 5

So B = approximately 1.759e-6

Now, what is the "magnitude of the line integral of B*dl" and what does that mean? and more importantly, how does it relate to the answer I got?

Dimensional analysis tells me that Tesla-meters/Amps * Amps divided by meters (perimeter of window frame) comes out to Tesla-meters which is what they want, but the concepts of line integrals and dot products and vectors is unknown to me so the answer doesn't seem right.

Related to Calculating Magnetic Field Around Window Frame

1. How do two wires enter a window?

Two wires can enter a window by being fed through holes or gaps in the window frame or by being pushed through an open window.

2. Why would two wires enter a window?

Two wires may enter a window for various reasons, such as to connect electrical devices inside a building or to provide a temporary power source for construction or maintenance work.

3. Is it safe to have two wires entering a window?

The safety of having two wires enter a window depends on the specific situation. Proper precautions should be taken, such as using insulated wires and ensuring they are not damaged or overloaded.

4. Do two wires entering a window affect the window's function?

In most cases, two wires entering a window will not affect its function. However, if the wires are interfering with the window's ability to open or close properly, they may need to be repositioned or removed.

5. Are there any regulations or codes regarding two wires entering a window?

In some areas, there may be regulations or building codes that dictate the proper positioning and installation of wires entering a window. It is important to research and follow these guidelines to ensure safety and compliance.