Calculating Magnet Forces at an Angle: Formulas and Book Suggestions

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the forces between two magnets when they are approaching each other at an angle. The individual is looking for information on how to modify the existing formulas for the scenario and is open to book recommendations. The possibility of modeling the magnets as point dipoles is also mentioned.
galbrig2
I am trying to calculate how much forces is between two magnets, but the catch is they will be approaching each other at an angle.

I have found plenty of information using the model of two magnets heading end to end, but am not sure if the formulas change when the magnets are not in that configuration.

I ma not sure if I am being clear with what I want so if there is any confusion let me know and I will see if I can stat what I am looking for a little better

Also, if anyone can suggest a book which gives a good expiation about the forces between two magnets I would be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can model the two magnets as point dipoles, i.e., each with two magnetic poles +/- qm separated by a distance L, then you could write the forces as a sum of four vector forces, one between each pair of poles. Two are attractive, two are repulsive. There is almost certainly a torque as well as a force. There is probably a better way, but I don't know it.

Hello,

Calculating the forces between two magnets at an angle can be a bit more complicated than when they are in an end to end configuration. The formulas do change depending on the angle between the magnets, as well as the distance between them.

One formula that you can use is the cosine formula, which takes into account the angle between the magnets. This can be written as F = (μ0m1m2)/4πr^2 * cosθ, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, m1 and m2 are the magnetic moments of the two magnets, r is the distance between them, and θ is the angle between them.

Another useful formula is the vector addition formula, which takes into account the magnetic field vectors of each magnet. This can be written as F = (μ0/4π) * (m1m2/r^3) * (1 - 3cos^2θ), where μ0 is again the permeability of free space, m1 and m2 are the magnetic moments, r is the distance between the two magnets, and θ is the angle between them.

As for book suggestions, "Magnetism: A Very Short Introduction" by Stephen J. Blundell is a great resource for understanding the basics of magnetism and its applications. "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths also covers the fundamentals of magnetism and has a section on magnetic forces between two magnets.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your calculations!

Related to Calculating Magnet Forces at an Angle: Formulas and Book Suggestions

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnet force on an angle?

The formula for calculating the magnet force on an angle is F = BILsinθ, where F is the force, B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, L is the length of the wire, and θ is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

2. How does the angle affect the magnet force?

The angle between the wire and the magnetic field affects the magnet force by changing the component of the force that is perpendicular to the wire. As the angle increases, the magnitude of this component decreases, resulting in a smaller overall magnet force.

3. What is the direction of the magnet force on an angle?

The direction of the magnet force on an angle is perpendicular to both the wire and the magnetic field. If the angle is 90 degrees, the force will be parallel to the wire.

4. How can I increase the magnet force on an angle?

The magnet force on an angle can be increased by increasing the magnetic field strength, the current, or the length of the wire. Additionally, decreasing the angle between the wire and the magnetic field will also increase the force.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnet force on an angle?

Magnet force on an angle has many real-world applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Additionally, understanding magnet force on an angle is important in designing and maintaining power lines and other electrical systems.