Calculating Linear Combinations of Vectors: Step-by-Step Guide

Your instructor certainly wants more than that: you show him/her how you got to those three equations, with a remark that these solutions are valid for all t (include domain).In summary, the four vectors (1, 1, 1), (2, −1, 3), (1, 7, −1) and (1, 4, 0) were given with the task of finding how many ways (1, 1, 1) can be written as a linear combination of the other three vectors. This involved solving a system of three linear equations with three unknowns, represented by the constants x, y, and z. The determinant of the system was calculated and found to be equal to
Mark53

Homework Statement

Consider the four vectors (1, 1, 1), (2, −1, 3), (1, 7, −1) and (1, 4, 0). Calculate how many ways you can write (1, 1, 1) as a linear combination of the other three, explaining your reasoning.

The Attempt at a Solution

wouldn't any of these combinations give the correct answer if you multiply the vectors by the correct constant

Physics news on Phys.org
You got to solve a system of three linear equations with three unknowns (the three constants by which we multiply each vector in the linear combination of them). If the determinant of this system of equations is not zero then the system has unique solution, that is there are only three constants, so one possible way.

No. In fact, there is only one solution. Thankfully, the question does not actually ask you to calculate the answers. All you have to do is to either show how you that the system of linear equations
2x-y+3z =1 & x+7-z=1&x+4y=1
has exactly one solution. (If you've had matrices, that is a good way to go. For starters, you can check that the determinant of the corresponding matrix is non-zero.) You needn't actually calculate x,y,z, because I think the solutions are pretty big, like

nomadreid said:
No. In fact, there is only one solution. Thankfully, the question does not actually ask you to calculate the answers. All you have to do is to either show how you that the system of linear equations
2x-y+3z =1 & x+7-z=1&x+4y=1
has exactly one solution. (If you've had matrices, that is a good way to go. For starters, you can check that the determinant of the corresponding matrix is non-zero.) You needn't actually calculate x,y,z, because I think the solutions are pretty big, like

Sorry, but there is more than one solution. Check the value of the determinant of the system of equations.

Likes nomadreid
Oops. I miscalculated the determinant. I stand corrected. Thanks for the correction, Ray Vickson.

nomadreid said:
Oops. I miscalculated the determinant. I stand corrected. Thanks for the correction, Ray Vickson.

So would I have to calculate the determinant for each possible combination?

The idea is that x,y,z represent the factors that will allow x(2,-1,3)+y(1,3,-1)+z(1,4,0)=(1,1,1)
Giving you the three equations
2x+y+z=1
-x+3y+4z=1
3x-y=1
(Ah, sorry for my earlier incorrect equations. I should not answer these questions just before bedtime.)
In matrix form, this is
2 .. 1.. 1 ... .x...1
-1 .. 3 ..4 ... y... = 1
3 .. -1...0... z.... 1
The determinant of the left-hand matrix is 0. This means that there is not a unique solution. Therefore either there are no solutions or there are infinitely many solutions. Your next step is to determine which case it is: infinite or none. There are various ways to do this, but the easiest is just to try to solve it directionly without matrices. Label the first equation A, the second B, the third C, and you can use 4A-B to get an equation in only x and y, now combine that with C to find x and y, and with that try to find z in both A and B.

Last edited:
nomadreid said:
The idea is that x,y,z represent the factors that will allow x(2,-1,3)+y(1,3,-1)+z(1,4,0)=(1,1,1)
Giving you the three equations
2x+y+z=1
-x+3y+4z=1
3x-y=1
(Ah, sorry for my earlier incorrect equations. I should not answer these questions just before bedtime.)
In matrix form, this is
2 .. 1.. 1 ... .x...1
-1 .. 3 ..4 ... y... = 1
3 .. -1...0... z.... 1
The determinant of the left-hand matrix is 0. This means that there is not a unique solution. Therefore either there are no solutions or there are infinitely many solutions. Your next step is to determine which case it is: infinite or none. There are various ways to do this, but the easiest is just to try to solve it directionly without matrices. Label the first equation A, the second B, the third C, and you can use 4A-B to get an equation in only x and y, now combine that with C to find x and y, and with that try to find z in both A and B.
when I use row operations on the matrix i get a unique solution

Mark53 said:
when I use row operations on the matrix i get a unique solution

OK, but that is not the correct system of equations. You should be looking at
$$\begin{array}{rl}
2x + 1y + 1z& = 1\\
-1x +7y +4z &= 1 \\
3x -1y+ 0 z& = 1
\end{array}
$$
The three vectors under consideration are (2, −1, 3), (1, 7, −1) and (1, 4, 0), not (2, -1, 3), (1, 3, -1) and (1, 4, 0).

Last edited:
Likes nomadreid
Oops, typos can do horrible things. Until someone legislates that 3=7...o:)

nomadreid said:
Oops, typos can do horrible things. Until someone legislates that 3=7...o:)
From my calculations I get infinitely many solutions

so would i just write my answer as

x=2/5-(1/5)t
y=1/5-(3/5)t
z=t

Your instructor certainly wants more than that: you show him/her how you got to those three equations, with a remark that these solutions are valid for all t (include domain).

Related to Calculating Linear Combinations of Vectors: Step-by-Step Guide

1. What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical operation where a set of numbers is multiplied by coefficients and then added together. In other words, it is a combination of two or more variables or terms using multiplication and addition.

2. How can linear combinations be used in science?

Linear combinations are used in science to represent relationships between variables. They can be used to model physical phenomena, analyze data, and make predictions. In chemistry, linear combinations are used to describe molecular orbitals. In physics, they are used to describe the motion of objects.

3. What is the purpose of finding linear combinations?

The purpose of finding linear combinations is to simplify complex equations or systems of equations. By combining terms or variables, we can reduce the number of equations and make them easier to solve. This is particularly useful in scientific research, where equations can become very complicated.

4. How can I determine if a set of vectors is a linear combination of another set of vectors?

To determine if a set of vectors is a linear combination of another set of vectors, you can use the method of Gaussian elimination. This involves reducing the vectors to their row-echelon form and checking if the reduced columns are equal. If they are, then the vectors are a linear combination of each other.

5. Can linear combinations be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, linear combinations can be used to solve real-world problems in various fields, such as economics, engineering, and physics. They can be used to optimize resources, analyze data, and make predictions. Linear combinations are a powerful tool in problem-solving and are widely used in scientific research and practical applications.