Calculating Linear and Angular Quantities from Applied Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of torque and its relationship to angular acceleration and linear acceleration. The equations for torque and angular acceleration are mentioned, as well as the need for the moment of inertia of the object to calculate torque. The conversation also explores different scenarios involving force applied at different points and how it affects the object's movement. The formula for angular momentum of a thin disc about an axis through and perpendicular to its center is also mentioned.
StarWarsNerd
cklSBwK.png

In the image above, a centroid with radius 1 is depicted. F1 is pointing directly at point A (which is the center of the circle), and F2 is pointing directly at point B. The radius for finding the torque would be the perpendicular between the center of the object and the force vector, so r1 would be 0 and r2 would be 1.

From my understanding, F1 will make the circle move in the direction of the force, but it will not rotate. F2 on the other hand, since the radius is not zero, will make it move in the direction of the force and rotate.

So my question is, given a force vector f and a radius r, how do you calculate what the final meters/second and the radians/second of the object will be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with torque? What are the equations for torque and angular acceleration?
Calculate the torque associated with F2.
You need the moment of inertia of the circle. If you know the mass distribution, you can calculate this. Try to do this.

In theory, the linear acceleration doesn't depend on where you apply the force, but in practice, it's hard to apply a constant force on something that is rotating.

Khashishi said:
Are you familiar with torque? What are the equations for torque and angular acceleration?
Calculate the torque associated with F2.
You need the moment of inertia of the circle. If you know the mass distribution, you can calculate this. Try to do this.

• F = m * a
  • T = F * r * sin(θ)
  • α = Δω / Δt
  • I = ¼ * π * r4
So if we have Fn, a force equal to those in the image, but anywhere along the diameter, and the radius would then be rn we get
T = Fn * rn * sin(π/2) = m * a * rn * 1
This is where I get stuck, I am not sure how to proceed.

Khashishi said:
In theory, the linear acceleration doesn't depend on where you apply the force, but in practice, it's hard to apply a constant force on something that is rotating.
So if the circle rotates it will travel as far as one that does not rotate?

StarWarsNerd said:
So if the circle rotates it will travel as far as one that does not rotate?
It depends on the details. What factors are you holding constant for the comparison? What factor are you changing?

The same force applied for the same length of time but changing the initial point of application to one that is farther right?

The same force applied over the same vertical distance, allowing the point of application to rotate right and away, but stopping sooner because the point of application rotates away faster than the object as a whole?

The same force applied while the center of mass of the object moves for the same vertical distance, but changing the initial point of application?

The same force applied for the same length of time but with a sticky little roller so that the point of application stays at the same relative position while the object rotates under it?

jbriggs444 said:
It depends on the details. What factors are you holding constant for the comparison? What factor are you changing?

The same force applied for the same length of time but changing the initial point of application to one that is farther right?

The same force applied over the same vertical distance, allowing the point of application to rotate right and away, but stopping sooner because the point of application rotates away faster than the object as a whole?

The same force applied while the center of mass of the object moves for the same vertical distance, but changing the initial point of application?
A force with the same magnitude/direction, applied for the same period of time, just the x coordinate is moving left or right.

StarWarsNerd said:
A force with the same magnitude/direction, applied for the same period of time, just the x coordinate is moving left or right.
Then a momentum/impulse argument can give you the desired answer. Change in momentum = impulse. Impulse = force multipled by duration. Rotation does not enter in. Linear momentum and angular momentum are conserved separately.

jbriggs444 said:
Then a momentum/impulse argument can give you the desired answer. Change in momentum = impulse. Impulse = force multipled by duration. Rotation does not enter in. Linear momentum and angular momentum are conserved separately.
So to calculate the linear velocity I would just take the F * (1/m) * duration? What about the angular velocity? That formula is really tripping me up.

StarWarsNerd said:
  • I = ¼ * π * r4
Your expression for moment of inertia has the wrong units.
You are missing one other equation:
##\tau = I \alpha##
which means
torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration.

The angular formulas are a lot like the linear formulas, but you have to replace force with torque, mass with moment of inertia, velocity with angular velocity, acceleration with angular acceleration.

Khashishi said:
Your expression for moment of inertia has the wrong units.
You are missing one other equation:
##\tau = I \alpha##
which means
torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration.

The angular formulas are a lot like the linear formulas, but you have to replace force with torque, mass with moment of inertia, velocity with angular velocity, acceleration with angular acceleration.

so I = ¼ * m * r2 and τ / I = α → (F * r) / (¼ * m * r2) = (4 * F) / (m * r)
and for the linear component, we take F = m * a → a = F / m
Is that correct? And this would apply for any force, not just tangential or one pointed at the center of mass?

Where are you finding the formula for the angular momentum of a thin disc about an axis through and perpendicular to its center?

As I read the original posting, the axis is perpendicular to the disc, not coinciding with a diameter.

jbriggs444 said:
Where are you finding the formula for the angular momentum of a thin disc about an axis through and perpendicular to its center?

As I read the original posting, the axis is perpendicular to the disc, not coinciding with a diameter.

You are correct, the axis of rotation would be the z-axis, meaning I = ½ * m * r2 and α = (2 * F) / (m * r) ?

Likes jbriggs444
StarWarsNerd said:
You are correct, the axis of rotation would be the z-axis, meaning I = ½ * m * r2 and α = (2 * F) / (m * r) ?
Heh, I suspected you were looking at that wiki article. Yes, the angular acceleration looks right to me.

jbriggs444 said:
Heh, I suspected you were looking at that wiki article. Yes, the angular acceleration looks right to me.
You said earlier that linear momentum and angular momentum are conserved separately, so, the angular acceleration does not change the linear acceleration, or do I need to calculate linear using angular?

StarWarsNerd said:
You said earlier that linear momentum and angular momentum are conserved separately, so, the angular acceleration does not change the linear acceleration, or do I need to calculate linear using angular?
They are separate.

Changes in angular momentum depend on the sum of the external torques. External forces do not enter in as forces -- though they may contribute a torque due to their offset from the axis.

Changes in linear momentum depend on the sum of the external forces. External torques do not enter in. From a linear momentum point of view, a force is a force, no matter where it is applied and how much torque it may contribute.

[Edited to change from "accelerations" to "changes in momentum"]

jbriggs444 said:
They are separate.

Changes in angular momentum depend on the sum of the external torques. External forces do not enter in as forces -- though they may contribute a torque due to their offset from the axis.

Changes in linear momentum depend on the sum of the external forces. External torques do not enter in. From a linear momentum point of view, a force is a force, no matter where it is applied and how much torque it may contribute.

[Edited to change from "accelerations" to "changes in momentum"]

To get the direction of the rotation, do you need to recalculate torque, or can α be use to find if it is spinning clockwise or counterclockwise?

StarWarsNerd said:
To get the direction of the rotation, do you need to recalculate torque, or can α be use to find if it is spinning clockwise or counterclockwise?
When you calculate the angular acceleration [in the two dimensional plane], you can pick a sign convention for ##\alpha##. For instance, positive for clockwise and negative for counter-clockwise.

jbriggs444 said:
When you calculate the angular acceleration [in the two dimensional plane], you can pick a sign convention for ##\alpha##. For instance, positive for clockwise and negative for counter-clockwise.
So α does not intrinsically have a cw/ccw direction

StarWarsNerd said:
So α does not intrinsically have a cw/ccw direction
As soon as you decide upon a sign convention for it, it does.

Normally, I'd expect to use counter-clockwise = positive to match the way angles increase in the first quadrant from 0 = straight right with positive numbers progressively counter-clockwise from there.

Related to Calculating Linear and Angular Quantities from Applied Force

1. What is the difference between linear and angular quantities?

Linear quantities refer to measurements that involve straight lines, such as distance and displacement. Angular quantities refer to measurements that involve rotation, such as angle and angular velocity.

2. How do you calculate linear quantities from an applied force?

To calculate linear quantities, you can use the formula F = ma, where F is the applied force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

3. How do you calculate angular quantities from an applied force?

To calculate angular quantities, you can use the formula τ = Iα, where τ is the torque (a measure of rotational force), I is the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotation), and α is the angular acceleration. This formula is derived from Newton's second law for rotation, which states that the torque applied to an object is equal to its moment of inertia multiplied by its angular acceleration.

4. Can you provide an example of calculating linear and angular quantities from an applied force?

Sure, let's say we have a ball with a mass of 2 kg that is rolling down a ramp. The applied force on the ball is 10 N. To calculate the linear quantity, we use the formula F = ma. Plugging in the values, we get a = 10 N / 2 kg = 5 m/s^2. To calculate the angular quantity, we use the formula τ = Iα. If we assume the ball is a solid sphere with a moment of inertia of 2/5 * mr^2, where r is the radius of the ball, we get τ = (2/5 * 2 kg * (0.1 m)^2) * α. If the ball starts from rest, α will be equal to a/r = 5 m/s^2 / 0.1 m = 50 rad/s^2.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating linear and angular quantities from applied force?

Calculating linear and angular quantities from applied force is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. Some examples include designing structures to withstand forces, analyzing the motion of objects in space, and understanding the mechanics of sports movements such as throwing and swinging. It is also essential in the development of new technologies, such as robotics and transportation systems.