Calculating lifting force of a magnet

In summary, if the magnetic field strength is measured to be X Tesla on a large flat permanent magnet, there is a standard formula for determining the force the magnet will supply as a function of distance from a piece of metal with well defined properties.
houlahound
If the magnetic field strength is measured to be X Tesla on a large flat permanent magnet is there a standard formula for determining the force the magnet will supply as a function of distance from a piece of metal with well defined properties.

I see the problem of different metals are going to respond differently to same magnet and they will themselves become magnetised etc but for simplicity use some uniform, constant grade of common metal.thanks any ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you may have to experiment...

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp

Most online calculators determine pull force based on a theoretical calculation of the flux density. With a few assumptions, flux density (in Gauss) can be related to the expected pull force. Unfortunately, this simplification often fails to match experimentally measured data. This page calculates expected pull forces based on extensive product testing.

thanks will check out the link.

I have looked through a few engineering handbooks for a formula or general rule of thumb to no avail. I thought it would have been a common and rather mundane application problem with a simple approximate algebraic formula to plug in numbers like what type / grade metal, distance and magnetic field strength, evidently not.

I would settle for a formula to calculate just the maximum lifting force.

hey that link is cool, seems hyperbolic (or something) with distance as I would roughly expect.

love to know how they calculated it, does not appear to be any links to the source.

houlahound said:
If the magnetic field strength is measured to be X Tesla on a large flat permanent magnet is there a standard formula for determining the force the magnet will supply as a function of distance from a piece of metal with well defined properties.

If you separate the magnet from the metal, you create an airgap in the magnetic circuit. In this airgap the density of the magnetic energy will be:

Edens = ½*B*H [ J/m3].

So the total energy in the airgap will be: E = ½*B*H*A*ds, A=surface area, ds=width of airgap.

The force of attraction will be: F = dE/ds.

But the real problem is to calculate B(s) and H(s), when the width (s) of the airgap becomes "some distance". A numerical calculation is suggested.

A is the surface area of the magnet or steel?

B is not the magnetic field strength of the magnet away from any magnetic material? if no what is it?

and H is ?

houlahound said:
A is the surface area of the magnet or steel?

B is not the magnetic field strength of the magnet away from any magnetic material? if no what is it?

and H is ?

The B-field is the magnetic induction ( unit: Tesla ). It may be compared to electrical current.
The H-field is the magnetic field strength ( unit: A/m ). It may be compared to electrical voltage.

Ohms law: I = U / R
"Magnetic" law: B = H * μ ( μ is the permeability (magnetic conductivity) of some material ).

so which one, B or H is the actual measured field strength in Tesla I could measure with a Gauss meter placed near the magnet?

houlahound said:
so which one, B or H is the actual measured field strength in Tesla I could measure with a Gauss meter placed near the magnet?

With a Gauss meter, you are measuring the B-field. (As I remember: 1 Tesla = 10000 gauss ).

μ0 ( permeability in vacuum ) = 4π*10-7.

μr (relative permeability) in iron ≈ 1000.

μ = μ0r.

so if I measure B I can easy calculate H ie B= uH from above post and given Edens = ½*B*H [ J/m3] and E = ½*B*H*A*ds and F = dE/ds = d(B^2uA)ds/ds therefore
F = B^2uA, seems to simple, what have I messed up?

houlahound said:
so if I measure B I can easy calculate H

No, it's not that easy. Say you have a cylindric magnet. Between the magnet and the metal, you will have an (small) airgap, and you can approximately calculate the volume of this airgap to be: V = A*ds. But on the other side of the magnet you have another airgap, and what is the dimensions of this airgap?

Remember that magnetic fields circulates. They must create curves that return into themselves. What is the volume/length of such a field? It's correct, that the magnetic flux is constant in a magnetic circuit, but the H-field is not. ( The current is constant in an electric loop, but the voltage drop in a resistor in the loop depends on if the resistor is 10Ω or 1kΩ ).

That's why I suggest a numerical calculation (computer calculation).

"But on the other side of the magnet you have another airgap"

I wonder how much damage if I assumed there is no other side of the air gap or it just had a value of zero or 1, just kidding.

thanks to all those that replied, I got this now.

appreciate it.

You may substitute your permanent magnet with an electromagnet (iron cylinder with some coil added).

Computer calculation may be done, using Biot-Savart law with respect to this coil. (Complicated, not kidding).

Simple Formula Derived by my lecturer.

F= B^2*A / 2μ0

B - Flux Density (Squared)
A - Area of the parts in contact (or in close proximity)
μ0 - Constant 4*pie 10^-7

Matthew Tong said:
F= B^2*A / 2μ0

Yes. More generally:

The energy density of a magnetic field: Emagn = ½*B*H [ J/m3 ] →

F = dE / ds, ( s is the distance, E = magnetic energy. )

Last edited:
thanks that is a simple enough formula.

in the second formual above F = dE/ds, there is no distance variable, how do you differentiate it WRT s? or are you saying you have to first find an expression for B or H as a function of s?

houlahound said:
in the second formual above F = dE/ds, there is no distance variable, how do you differentiate it WRT s? or are you saying you have to first find an expression for B or H as a function of s?

Yes, B and H becomes a function of s when s is "some distance". So: Emagn = ½*B(s)*H(s).

When you separate magnet and iron, you change the magnetic circuit. In electrical terms you cut some wire in the circuit and insert a resistor as connection between the two pieces of wire. If current flows in the wire, you will have a voltage drop across the resistor ( you will have a strong H-field in the magnetic circuit ). If the electrical circuit is supplied by a fixed voltage, the voltage drop across the resistor will tend to decrease the current ( tend to decrease the B-field ).
Hesch said:
Between the magnet and the metal, you will have an (small) airgap, and you can approximately calculate the volume of this airgap to be: V = A*ds. But on the other side of the magnet you have another airgap, and what is the dimensions of this airgap?

So cutting the wire and inserting a resistor (say 1kΩ) will not change the current very much if there is another resistor in the circuit in series
( 100kΩ ), representing the other airgap. So the calculations are rather complicated when the airgap becomes bigger than tiny.

Last edited:
Likes houlahound
houlahound said:
in the second formual above F = dE/ds, there is no distance variable, how do you differentiate it WRT s?

Another thing:

E = Emagn * V (V is the volume of the airgap ) →
E = Emagn * A * s (A is the cross section area of the airgap) →
F = dE/ds = Emagn * A (even if H(s) and B(s) are regarded as constants )

So in the expression for E, there is the variable s "built in".

Likes houlahound

Related to Calculating lifting force of a magnet

1. How is the lifting force of a magnet calculated?

The lifting force of a magnet can be calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the cross-sectional area of the magnet and the magnetic permeability of the material it is interacting with. This calculation can be represented by the formula F = B x A x μ, where F is the lifting force in Newtons, B is the magnetic field strength in Tesla, A is the cross-sectional area in square meters, and μ is the magnetic permeability in Henrys per meter.

2. What is the difference between magnetic field strength and magnetic flux density?

Magnetic field strength is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field produced by a magnet or a current-carrying wire, while magnetic flux density is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at a particular point in space. Magnetic flux density takes into account the area and angle of the magnetic field, while magnetic field strength does not.

3. Does the distance between the magnet and the object being lifted affect the lifting force?

Yes, the distance between the magnet and the object being lifted does affect the lifting force. As the distance increases, the lifting force decreases due to the weakening of the magnetic field. This is known as the inverse square law, which states that the strength of a magnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

4. Can the lifting force of a magnet be increased by increasing the current in a wire?

No, the lifting force of a magnet is not directly affected by the current in a wire. It is determined by the strength of the magnetic field, which is dependent on the material and shape of the magnet, as well as the distance and orientation of the magnet to the object being lifted. However, increasing the current in a wire can increase the magnetic field strength, which in turn can increase the lifting force if the other factors remain constant.

5. What are some factors that can affect the lifting force of a magnet?

The lifting force of a magnet can be affected by the strength and orientation of the magnet, the material and shape of the magnet, the distance between the magnet and the object being lifted, the magnetic properties of the material being lifted, and any other external magnetic fields present. Additionally, temperature and mechanical stress can also affect the lifting force of a magnet.