Calculating km/hr from engine rpm

• Thread starter sozener1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine Rpm
In summary, the gear ratio between the crankshaft and driveshaft is 13.579 at first gear, the diameter of the car wheel is 0.6m, and the transmission efficiency is 0.85. To calculate the speed in km/hr generated by the engine running at 1500rpm, you need to divide the engine RPM by 13.579 to get the wheel RPM. For every 13.579 revolutions of the crankshaft, the wheel goes around once. This results in the wheels turning at about 100 RPM, which corresponds to a speed of 12 Km/hr. The weight of the car and transmission efficiency do not affect this calculation.
sozener1

Homework Statement

the gear ratio between crankshaft and driveshaft calculates to be 13.579 at first gear

the diameter of the car wheel is 0.6m

the transmission efficiency is 0.85

weight of the car is 1200kg

if the engineer is running at 1500rpm how do you calculate the speed in km/hr generated by the engine

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

since gear ratio is 13.579 I multiplied it to 1500 rpm then by 60 to get revolutions per hour
and I multiplied result by (0.6*pi) to obtain the distance it traveled in an hour.

then I get something like 2000km/hr which I think is ridiculously high?

so I tried to divide 1500rpm by the gear ratio and then calculated, then I get somting like 12km/hr which I think is too low.

what have I done wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
sozener1 said:

Homework Statement

the gear ratio between crankshaft and driveshaft calculates to be 13.579 at first gear

the diameter of the car wheel is 0.6m

the transmission efficiency is 0.85

weight of the car is 1200kg

if the engineer is running at 1500rpm how do you calculate the speed in km/hr generated by the engine

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

since gear ratio is 13.579 I multiplied it to 1500 rpm then by 60 to get revolutions per hour
and I multiplied result by (0.6*pi) to obtain the distance it traveled in an hour.

then I get something like 2000km/hr which I think is ridiculously high?

so I tried to divide 1500rpm by the gear ratio and then calculated, then I get somting like 12km/hr which I think is too low.

what have I done wrong

You need to divide the engine RPM by 13.579 to get the wheel RPM. For every 13.579 revolutions of the crankshaft, the wheel goes around once.

So by very rough calculations, at 1500 RPM the wheels are turning at about 100 RPM. Each revolution of the wheel is ~ 2m, so the wheels are covering about 200 m/min. That works out to 12,000 m/hr or about 12 Km/hr, which is the same as what you got.

I think this is a reasonable result. The transmission in this vehicle is geared extremely low. With gearing this low, you could probably pull stumps out. The gearing for cars is typically in the range of about 3.0:1 to 4.5:1. Also, at 1500 RPM, the engine isn't turning very fast, with idle being somewhere around, say 800 RPM. A lot of cars have a redline above 6500, and some motorcycles have redlines up around 12,000 - 14,000 RPM.

Some of the data you posted is extraneous -- the weight of the car doesn't enter into these calculations, although it does play a role in the acceleration. Also, the transmission efficiency doesn't play a role, although it does affect the power at the rear wheels.

Mark44 said:
You need to divide the engine RPM by 13.579 to get the wheel RPM. For every 13.579 revolutions of the crankshaft, the wheel goes around once.

So by very rough calculations, at 1500 RPM the wheels are turning at about 100 RPM. Each revolution of the wheel is ~ 2m, so the wheels are covering about 200 m/min. That works out to 12,000 m/hr or about 12 Km/hr, which is the same as what you got.

I think this is a reasonable result. The transmission in this vehicle is geared extremely low. With gearing this low, you could probably pull stumps out. The gearing for cars is typically in the range of about 3.0:1 to 4.5:1. Also, at 1500 RPM, the engine isn't turning very fast, with idle being somewhere around, say 800 RPM. A lot of cars have a redline above 6500, and some motorcycles have redlines up around 12,000 - 14,000 RPM.

Some of the data you posted is extraneous -- the weight of the car doesn't enter into these calculations, although it does play a role in the acceleration. Also, the transmission efficiency doesn't play a role, although it does affect the power at the rear wheels.

thank you so much for the detailed explanations it really helped

I would first like to clarify the units being used in this problem. Engine rpm is a measure of revolutions per minute, while km/hr is a measure of kilometers per hour. In order to accurately calculate the speed in km/hr generated by the engine, we need to convert the units accordingly.

To do this, we can use the following equations:

Speed (km/hr) = (rpm * gear ratio * wheel circumference * 60) / 1000

Wheel circumference = 2 * pi * (wheel diameter / 2)

Using these equations, we can calculate the speed generated by the engine at 1500 rpm:

Wheel circumference = 2 * pi * (0.6 / 2) = 1.89 m

Speed (km/hr) = (1500 * 13.579 * 1.89 * 60) / 1000 = 116.45 km/hr

This value seems more reasonable for a car's speed. It is important to note that this is the theoretical maximum speed that can be generated by the engine at 1500 rpm. In reality, other factors such as air resistance, friction, and road conditions will affect the actual speed of the car.

Related to Calculating km/hr from engine rpm

1. How do I calculate km/hr from engine rpm?

To calculate the speed of a vehicle in kilometers per hour (km/hr) based on the engine revolutions per minute (rpm), you will need to know the gear ratio and the tire diameter. The formula for this calculation is: km/hr = (rpm * tire diameter * gear ratio * 60) / 1000.

2. What is the gear ratio?

The gear ratio is the ratio of the number of teeth on the gears in the transmission. It is used to determine how many times the engine must rotate for the wheels to make one full rotation.

3. What is the tire diameter?

The tire diameter is the distance across the tire from one edge to the other. This measurement is typically listed in inches. You can also find the tire diameter by measuring the distance from the ground to the top of the tire.

4. Can I calculate km/hr from engine rpm without knowing the gear ratio and tire diameter?

No, the gear ratio and tire diameter are essential components in the calculation of km/hr from engine rpm. Without this information, the calculation will not be accurate.

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate km/hr from engine rpm?

Yes, you can use an online calculator or a smartphone app that allows you to input the engine rpm, gear ratio, and tire diameter to quickly calculate the speed in km/hr. This eliminates the need for manual calculations and ensures accuracy.