Calculating Kinetic Friction Using F=ma and X_0*K

In summary, when the mass is released from rest, it is accelerated and eventually comes to a stop after sliding a total distance L. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the table top is x_0*K.
merlinMan
a block of mass M is held on a horizontal table against a compressed horizontal (massless) spring. When released from rest, the block is launched along the tabletop and eventually comes to a stop after sliding a total distance L. The initial spring compression is x_0 and the spring constant is K. Calculate teh coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the ttable top in terms of the variables M, L, K, and X_0.

Im lost. I know F=ma. I know x_0*k is the force the spring is dishing out. I know that the frictional force is Mu*M*g. I tried to put it together with v^2 = v_0^2 + 2aD. The problem with that is I don't know the initial velocity.

How do I use X_0*K to calculate velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
Use an equation relating the mechanical energy of the system at 2 different places and the work of friction done over that interval.

Could you walk me through that . . . I'm still lost.

OK, let's start with Newton's 2.law, and derive the energy equation.
1.Newton's 2.law
[tex]-Kx-\mu{Mg}=Ma[/tex]
Here, "x" is the compressed length of the spring, and
[tex]x(t=0)=-x_{0}[/tex]
and
[tex]x(t=t_{L})=L-x_{0}[/tex]
([tex]t_{L}[/tex] is the time when the system stops; when a distance L has been traversed)
[tex]-\mu{Mg}[/tex] is the frictional force, whereas a is the acceleration of the system.

2. Derivation of energy equation
We a) multiply the above equation with velocity v, and
b) integrate from t=0 to [tex]t=t_{L}[/tex]:
a) [tex]-Kxv-\mu{Mg}v=Mav[/tex]
b) [tex]-\frac{K}{2}x(t=t_{L})^{2}+\frac{K}{2}x(t=0)^{2}-\mu{MgL}=\frac{M}{2}(v(t=t_{L})^{2}-v(t=0)^{2})[/tex]
Or, by recognizing:
[tex]v(t=0)=v(t=t_{L})=0[/tex]
we gain by rearranging:
[tex]\mu{MgL}=\frac{K}{2}(x_{0}^{2}-(L-x_{0})^{2})=\frac{KL}{2}(2x_{0}-L)[/tex]
Or:
[tex]\mu=\frac{K(x_{0}-\frac{L}{2})}{Mg}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Kinetic Friction Using F=ma and X_0*K

What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the movement of an object when it is in motion. It is caused by the interaction between the surfaces of two objects and the microscopic bumps and ridges on those surfaces.

How is kinetic friction calculated?

Kinetic friction can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force of friction, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This formula is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion.

What is the significance of X_0 and K in the equation for calculating kinetic friction?

X_0 represents the initial displacement or starting position of the object, while K represents the coefficient of kinetic friction. The coefficient of kinetic friction is a constant that depends on the materials and surfaces in contact.

How does the mass of an object affect kinetic friction?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the force of kinetic friction. However, the greater the mass, the greater the force needed to overcome the force of friction and accelerate the object.

Can kinetic friction ever be zero?

Yes, kinetic friction can be zero if the object is moving at a constant velocity or if there is no contact between the surfaces. In this case, there is no force opposing the movement of the object and therefore no kinetic friction.