Calculating Kinetic Friction on an Amusement Park Ride

In summary, a 30.0 kg seal slides down a ramp at an amusement park into a pool below. The ramp is inclined at 30.0° above the horizontal and the seal reaches the water with a speed of 4.90 m/s. The problem involves calculating the work done by kinetic friction, which acts in the opposite direction of motion and takes mechanical energy from the seal. Various methods were attempted, including using the conservation of energy equation, but ultimately the work done by friction was found to be the difference between the mechanical energies at the top and bottom of the slide.
map7s
A 30.0 kg seal at an amusement park slides down a ramp into the pool below. The top of the ramp is 1.60 m higher than the surface of the water and the ramp is inclined at an angle of 30.0° above the horizontal. The seal reaches the water with a speed of 4.90 m/s. What is the work is done by kinetic friction?
I tried a number of things, but I wasn't sure how to calculate kinetic friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you try? This problem is about work and energy. It just happens to be a frictional force doing some work in this problem. All you need to know is the work done by the force, and how that is related to the force and distances involved.

I tried doing W=Fdcos(x). I tried that after I did a conservation of energy equation mgh=1/2 mv^2 but I didn't know where to go with that.

map7s said:
I tried doing W=Fdcos(x). I tried that after I did a conservation of energy equation mgh=1/2 mv^2 but I didn't know where to go with that.
I assume that if you calculated mgh at the top of the slide, and 1/2mv^2 at the bottom you found that mechanical energy was not conserved in this problem. The difference is the work done by friction. Friction acts opposite the direction of motion, so the angle in the dot product is 180 degrees. The work done by friction is negative; it takes mechanical energy from the seal.

Related to Calculating Kinetic Friction on an Amusement Park Ride

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is a type of friction that occurs between two surfaces that are in motion relative to each other. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces and the intermolecular forces between them.

2. How does kinetic friction affect the speed of a park ride?

Kinetic friction can act as a resistance force on the park ride, slowing it down and reducing its speed. This can be especially noticeable on rides with sharp turns or steep inclines where the friction between the ride and the track or wheels is greater.

3. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are in motion, while static friction occurs when there is no relative motion between the surfaces. The amount of force required to overcome static friction is typically greater than that required to overcome kinetic friction.

4. Can the amount of kinetic friction on a park ride be reduced?

Yes, the amount of kinetic friction can be reduced by using materials with smoother surfaces or by adding lubrication between the surfaces. This can help decrease the amount of resistance and improve the speed and smoothness of the ride.

5. How can kinetic friction be calculated for a park ride?

The amount of kinetic friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction (a constant for a specific material or surface) by the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surface). This will give you the amount of force required to overcome the friction and maintain the motion of the ride.