Calculating Kinetic Energy Using Uniform Velocity and Energy Equations

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of work and kinetic energy in relation to Avdol lifting a 35 kg box to a height of 2.0m at a uniform velocity. Jotaro and Polnareff had a debate about who did the work, with the conclusion that both were correct. The question of how much kinetic energy the box would have before being dropped was also raised, with the suggestion that both gravity and the force of Avdol were involved. However, it was not specified whether Avdol stopped the box at the given height or if the work to accelerate the box was to be included. A possible solution was discussed, using the equation Ek = 1/2 m v^2 = m
UnknownQuestioner
Homework Statement
Avdol lifted a 35 kg box at uniform velocity from the ground up to a height of 2.0m.

a) Jotaro commented Avdol did work. Polnareff says gravity did work. Who is correct? Explain?

b) If Avdol then accidentally dropped it. How much kinetic energy will there be right before it lands? Explain your reasoning. (2 marks)
Relevant Equations
Ek = 1/2 m v^2
For:
a) Avdol did the work because he is the force that is causing the displacement, right?

b) Is there another formula we would have to use? I am confused at how this would work out and what the answer would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
UnknownQuestioner said:
Homework Statement:: Avdol lifted a 35 kg box at uniform velocity from the ground up to a height of 2.0m.

a) Jotaro commented Avdol did work. Polnareff says gravity did work. Who is correct? Explain?

b) If Avdol then accidentally dropped it. How much kinetic energy will there be right before it lands? Explain your reasoning. (2 marks)
Relevant Equations:: Ek = 1/2 m v^2

For:
a) Avdol did the work because he is the force that is causing the displacement, right?

b) Is there another formula we would have to use? I am confused at how this would work out and what the answer would be.

That's correct for a). For b) where does the kinetic energy come from?

The kinetic energy would be the force of gravity pulling?

UnknownQuestioner said:
The kinetic energy would be the force of gravity pulling?

Can you think of something other than force?

Sorry I am not sure

UnknownQuestioner said:
Sorry I am not sure
Regarding this and your other post, the rules are that you must make an effort to solve the problem. We can help but we cannot do the work for you.

You need to have a think about the material you have been studying and what is relevant to a question like this.

Oh ok, sorry about that, I will re-attempt and try to do the problem again with more research. Thanks

UnknownQuestioner said:

I think I can tell what the wording is implying, but this is an awful question? Both do work, and the total work is zero. Hmm

Likes SammyS
I used √2gh = v to get velocity (6.3 m/s) then used that in Ek = 1/2 m v^2 to get a final kinetic energy of 690 J. Would this be the correct way to do this?

etotheipi said:
I think I can tell what the wording is implying, but this is an awful question? Both do work, and the total work is zero. Hmm
Agreed, the intended answer is that both are right. But it is unclear whether the total work is zero. We are not told that Avdol stops it at that height, or whether we are to include the work done to accelerate it to the given speed.

Likes etotheipi
UnknownQuestioner said:
I used √2gh = v to get velocity (6.3 m/s) then used that in Ek = 1/2 m v^2 to get a final kinetic energy of 690 J. Would this be the correct way to do this?
It is one way, but a bit roundabout. Combining those equations, Ek = 1/2 m v^2 = 1/2 m (√(2gh))^2 = mgh. How could you have got that straightaway?

Related to Calculating Kinetic Energy Using Uniform Velocity and Energy Equations

1. What is uniform velocity?

Uniform velocity is when an object moves in a straight line with a constant speed, meaning it covers equal distance in equal time intervals.

2. How is uniform velocity different from average velocity?

Uniform velocity is the instantaneous velocity of an object at any given moment, while average velocity is the overall displacement divided by the total time taken.

3. What is the equation for calculating uniform velocity?

The equation for uniform velocity is v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

4. How does uniform velocity affect an object's kinetic energy?

Uniform velocity does not affect an object's kinetic energy, as it is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object and not the rate at which it is moving.

5. Can an object have uniform velocity and changing kinetic energy?

No, an object with uniform velocity has a constant kinetic energy, as it is directly proportional to the square of the velocity.