Calculating Kepler's Constant for Earth Satellites

In summary, the conversation discusses determining Kepler's constant for all Earth satellites. The question is asked with no given information. The attempt at a solution involves using the moon as a satellite and calculating the value of K using the equation K=R³/t², with R being the distance from the moon to Earth and t being the time it takes for the moon to revolve around Earth. The calculated answer is 1.02x10¹³, but the expected answer is 9.85x10¹². After some discussion, it is determined that the difference in results is due to using different numbers of significant figures in the calculation.
NDiggity

Homework Statement

Determine Kepler's constant for all Earth Satellites. No information is given, only the question.

Homework Equations

K=R³/t²

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to use the moon as a satellite. So I went K=(384,403,000)³/(2,360,594.88)²

For R I used the distance from the moon to Earth in meters (384,403km) and for t I used the time it takes the moon to revolve around Earth in seconds (27.3 days).

The answer I get is 1.02x10¹³.
The answer is supposed to be 9.85x10¹²

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any other information I need to provide? Please help, I have a test on Planetary Mechanics tomorrow and my teacher refuses to help me with this question. He told me what the answer should be and said to work it out on my own. I asked some of my classmates and they could not get it either...

I would do it like you did.
These values are very close.
10.2 * 10^12
9.85 * 10^12
So why do you think that is? You and your teacher used different number of significant figures.
3.8 * 10^8
and
2.36 * 10^6
Only two or three significant figures.
Use these values for your calculation and you get your teacher's results. Silly huh? :smile:
It's weird how your teacher would use two significant figures for one and three significant figures for the other.

Last edited:
Right on, thank you very much for your help. It seemed strange because I was so close.

Related to Calculating Kepler's Constant for Earth Satellites

1. What is Kepler's Constant for Earth Satellites?

Kepler's Constant for Earth Satellites, also known as the gravitational constant or universal gravitational parameter, is a value used to calculate the orbital period and velocity of an object orbiting the Earth. It is denoted by the symbol "GM" and has a value of approximately 3.986×10^14 m^3/s^2.

2. How is Kepler's Constant for Earth Satellites calculated?

To calculate Kepler's Constant for Earth Satellites, you need to know the mass of the Earth and the distance between the center of the Earth and the center of the satellite's orbit. This can be determined using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the significance of Kepler's Constant for Earth Satellites?

Kepler's Constant for Earth Satellites is significant because it allows scientists to accurately predict the orbital period and velocity of satellites around the Earth. This is important for various applications, such as satellite communications, weather forecasting, and navigation systems.

4. Can Kepler's Constant for Earth Satellites be used for other planets?

Yes, Kepler's Constant for Earth Satellites can be used for other planets as well. However, the value of this constant will differ depending on the mass and distance of the planet. For example, the value for Mars would be different than the value for Earth.

5. How is Kepler's Constant for Earth Satellites related to Kepler's laws of planetary motion?

Kepler's Constant for Earth Satellites is related to Kepler's laws of planetary motion in that it is used in the calculation of the third law, which states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit. This law applies to all objects orbiting a central body, including satellites around the Earth.