Calculating Jet Engine Thrust: How to Use Newton's Second Law

• Thread starter chrishere?
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, the thrust of a jet engine is determined by the rate of change of momentum, which is calculated by taking in air at 20 k/g per second at 100 m/s and ejecting it at 500 m/s. The equation for this is force = rate of change of momentum, or F = ma.
chrishere?

Homework Statement

A jet engine gets it thrust by taking in air, heating and compressing it, and then ejecting it at a high speed. IF a particular engine takes in 20 k/g of air per second at 100 m/s and ejects it at 500 m/s calculate the thrust of the engine.
chriss #getmoney: thrust of the engine would be v right?

Homework Equations

i believe that the equation is Mv1 + Mv2 = V(Mv1+Mv2) and that the thrust = V .

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Thrust is a force rather than velocity.

Hint: Try using Newton's Second Law.

Edit: The equation that you have written doesn't make sense, it simplifies to V=1 for all M and v.

Last edited:
Welcome to PF!

chrishere? said:
A jet engine gets it thrust by taking in air, heating and compressing it, and then ejecting it at a high speed. IF a particular engine takes in 20 k/g of air per second at 100 m/s and ejects it at 500 m/s calculate the thrust of the engine.
chriss #getmoney: thrust of the engine would be v right?

i believe that the equation is Mv1 + Mv2 = V(Mv1+Mv2) and that the thrust = V .

Hi chrishere?! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Thrust is a force, so use Newton's second law in the form force = rate of change of momentum.

How much momentum is being ejected? :wink:

Related to Calculating Jet Engine Thrust: How to Use Newton's Second Law

1. What does "Uh Hi help me please?" mean?

"Uh Hi help me please?" is a phrase often used when someone is asking for assistance or support in a situation. It can also be a way of expressing confusion or uncertainty about something.

2. Who typically says "Uh Hi help me please?"

This phrase can be said by anyone who is in need of help or feeling unsure about something. It is not limited to any specific group or demographic.

3. Is "Uh Hi help me please?" a formal or informal expression?

"Uh Hi help me please?" is typically an informal expression and is often used in casual conversations or situations where someone needs immediate assistance.

4. How can I respond to someone who says "Uh Hi help me please?"

You can respond by asking them to clarify what kind of help they need or by offering assistance in any way you can. It's also important to be patient and understanding when someone reaches out for help.

5. What are some situations where someone might say "Uh Hi help me please?"

People might say "Uh Hi help me please?" when they are lost and need directions, when they are struggling with a task and need guidance, or when they are feeling overwhelmed and need support. It can also be used in joking or sarcastic ways among friends.