Calculating Iodine Number and Structure of Oil

In summary, this conversation is about calculating molar ratio and how it relates to the number of double bonds in a molecule. The speaker has trouble calculating the molar ratio and asks for help from another person. The other person shows the speaker how to calculate the molar ratio and states that it is 4.
CSG18
Hi,

I understand that the iodine number is the number of moles of iodine reacting with one mole of fat/oil which indicates the number of double bonds present in the fat/oil molecule.

However I am having trouble calculating them.

Can someone show me how to solve the following question please?

0.014 moles of a particular oil was found to react exactly with 14.2g of iodine. Calculate the number of moles of iodine that reacted and state what can be deduced about the structure of the oil from this information.

This is as far as I got:

Number of moles of iodine: 14.2/126.9 = 0.112mol

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Is it a homework question?

What is molar ratio of iodine and hydrocarbon?

--
methods

Thats all the information that was given, and Its just a revision question - not homework.

CSG18 said:
Thats all the information that was given

So use it to calculate molar ratio.

I have tried everything I know. With respect, if I knew how to do these questions then I wouldn't be asking. So if I could see how someone else worked it out, I will be able to see how its done, so I can apply it to similar questions.

Sorry for the trouble, I'm quite desperate.

If I had 4 apples and 6 bananas, what is the ratio of bananas to apples?

Are you serious?!

3:2

SJB was serious, but you are not serious. You know how to calculate fruit ratio, but not how to calculate molar ratio?

If you have 0.112 moles of iodine and 0.014 moles of hydrocarbon, what is their molar ratio?

8...?

Is that the number you are talking about?

Because I had already calculated 8, but the answer in my book says 0.0559 mols...?

Last edited:
Ah, you made a mistake at the very beginning, I have not spotted it earlier. There is no such thing as atomic iodine.

Seems we have two questions here.

First, how many moles of iodine, for which you have calculated (correctly) as 0.112mol of
atoms - how does iodine usually exist?

(looks like Borek has just beaten me to this)

Then, moving on, how does iodine react with double bonds - what is the ratio there?

sjb-2812 said:
Seems we have two questions here.

First, how many moles of iodine, for which you have calculated (correctly) as 0.112mol of
atoms - how does iodine usually exist?

(looks like Borek has just beaten me to this)

Then, moving on, how does iodine react with double bonds - what is the ratio there?

Oh! Because iodine is diatomic, so there are 2 iodine atoms for every 0.112mols, for 1 iodine atom there are 0.056 mols, so that means the molar ratio is 4! So there are 4 double bonds?!

The answer 0.056 is approximately equal to 0.0559!

Thankyou thankyou soo much!

So you always have to find one atom of iodine?

Borek said:
Ah, you made a mistake at the very beginning, I have not spotted it earlier. There is no such thing as atomic iodine.

Thank you Mr. Borek. I just could not figure out where I had gone wrong.

CSG18 said:
So you always have to find one atom of iodine?

Huh? Please elaborate.

--

I just meant that the moles of iodine that I had initially calculated (0.112 mol) applied to I2 (a molecule of iodine), however I was asking instead of finding I2, the goal was to find just the number of moles of I.

Does that make sense?

Quite the opposite. What you have initially found was number of moles of I (atomic iodine), while you should have been looking for moles of I2. Two reasons for that - first, iodine is diatomic. Second, it takes iodine molecule (two atoms) to react with double bond.

--
methods

Thank you, I'm glad that's resolved.

Related to Calculating Iodine Number and Structure of Oil

What is the purpose of calculating iodine number and structure of oil?

The purpose of calculating iodine number and structure of oil is to determine the unsaturation level and molecular structure of different oils. This information is important for various industries such as food, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics, as it can impact the quality, stability, and functionality of the oil.

How is iodine number calculated?

Iodine number is calculated by measuring the amount of iodine that is absorbed by a certain amount of oil. This is done by reacting the oil with an excess amount of iodine and then titrating the remaining iodine. The difference between the initial and final amount of iodine is used to calculate the iodine number.

What does iodine number indicate about an oil?

Iodine number indicates the amount of unsaturated bonds present in an oil. Oils with higher iodine numbers have more double bonds, making them more prone to oxidation and rancidity. This is important to know for industries that use oils as ingredients, as it can affect the shelf life and stability of their products.

How is the structure of oil determined?

The structure of oil can be determined by analyzing the iodine number and other physical and chemical properties of the oil. For example, oils with high iodine numbers are likely to have more unsaturated double bonds, while oils with low iodine numbers are likely to have more saturated bonds. Additionally, other tests such as gas chromatography can also be used to determine the molecular structure of oils.

What are some factors that can affect the iodine number and structure of oil?

The iodine number and structure of oil can be affected by various factors such as the type of oil, the processing methods used, and the storage conditions. For example, oils that are subjected to high temperatures or exposure to light and oxygen can have increased levels of oxidation, leading to a higher iodine number and changes in the molecular structure of the oil.