Calculating Intensity of Fringes with Young's Formula | Fringe Width Calculation

In summary, Young's formula is used to calculate the intensity of fringes in interference patterns, taking into account factors such as distance between slits and angle of the light source. The formula can also be used to calculate fringe width and is applicable to both constructive and destructive interference patterns. However, it has limitations such as assuming a coherent light source and narrow slits, and does not account for external factors that may affect the intensity of fringes. It also only applies to interference patterns produced by two slits.
naima
Gold Member
Hi all

I am looking for the intensity of the fringes on the screen behind two slits with a given width.
I thought it would be easy to find with google but no.

Physics news on Phys.org
Google 'two slit interference'. That should bring on an avalanche of hits. The Hyperphysics site is usually a good source of formulae, although it is sometimes a bit short on chatty explanations (PF is good for that).

I found a good paper on the subject

That looks to be a good source.
If it suits your level then it's perfect!

Hello, calculating the intensity of fringes in Young's double slit experiment is a fundamental concept in optics. The intensity of the fringes can be calculated using Young's formula, which relates the fringe width to the wavelength of light, distance between the slits, and distance from the slits to the screen. This formula is given by I = I0cos^2(πd/λL), where I0 is the intensity at the center of the screen, d is the distance between the slits, λ is the wavelength of light, and L is the distance from the slits to the screen. By plugging in these values, you can calculate the intensity of the fringes on the screen. I suggest consulting a textbook or reliable online resource for a step-by-step guide on how to use Young's formula for fringe width calculation. Additionally, it is important to note that the intensity of the fringes can also be affected by factors such as the coherence of the light source and any obstructions in the path of the light. I hope this helps.

Related to Calculating Intensity of Fringes with Young's Formula | Fringe Width Calculation

1. What is Young's formula for calculating the intensity of fringes?

Young's formula is I = I0 cos2 (π d sin θ / λ), where I is the intensity of the fringes, I0 is the maximum intensity, d is the distance between the slits, θ is the angle between the line connecting the slits and the point on the screen, and λ is the wavelength of light.

2. How do you calculate the fringe width using Young's formula?

The fringe width (Δy) can be calculated using the formula Δy = λD/d, where λ is the wavelength of light, D is the distance between the slits and the screen, and d is the distance between the slits.

3. Can Young's formula be used for any type of interference pattern?

Yes, Young's formula can be used for both constructive and destructive interference patterns, as long as the conditions for interference (i.e. coherent light source, narrow slits, etc.) are met.

4. How does changing the distance between the slits affect the intensity of fringes?

Changing the distance between the slits (d) will affect the angle (θ) in the formula, which in turn will affect the intensity of fringes. As d increases, the angle decreases, resulting in a decrease in the intensity of fringes.

5. What are the limitations of using Young's formula to calculate fringe intensity?

Young's formula assumes that the light source is coherent and the slits are narrow. It also does not take into account any external factors that may affect the intensity of fringes, such as diffraction or scattering of light. Additionally, it only applies to interference patterns produced by two slits. For more complex interference patterns, a different formula may be needed.