Calculating Initial Speed of 2.7g Ball Launched at 45° with 50V Solenoid Input

In summary, the conversation involves a question about finding the initial speed of a ball launched at a 45 degree angle with a solenoid input of 50 volts. The solution involves using the equations for kinetic and potential energy, as well as the equations for displacement in the y and x directions. It is suggested that the input of 50 volts should actually be 50 joules, and the resulting calculation yields a high speed due to the low mass of the ball. The conversation also discusses the concept of conservation of energy and the process of converting energy into kinetic energy.
Hooke's Law

Homework Statement

A ball ( 2.7 g ) is launched at a 45 degree angle with a solenoid input of 50V. What is the initial speed of the ball?

Homework Equations

KE = 0.5mv^2
PE = mgh
dy = vy(0)t + 0.5at^2
dx = vx(0)t

The Attempt at a Solution

Voltage is potential energy and I think the mechanical energy is being conserved so:

PE=KE

50 J = 0.5mv^2
sqrt(50 J*2/0.0027 kg) = v
192.5 m/s = v

I believe this speed is wrong, because it is numerically huge. Can someone tell me how to do it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a question for you, why did you say that 50 volt is 50 jole?

Hi Hooke's Law! :smile:

You are referring to a solenoid input of 50 V.

Can I assume that you meant 50 J instead of 50 V, that is, joules instead of volts?

In that case your calculation is correct.
It can be a pretty high speed due to the mass that is pretty low.

Cheers!

I like Serena said:
Hi Hooke's Law! :smile:

You are referring to a solenoid input of 50 V.

Can I assume that you meant 50 J instead of 50 V, that is, joules instead of volts?

In that case your calculation is correct.
It can be a pretty high speed due to the mass that is pretty low.

Cheers!

I don't get it! .. how can we make such statement?

thebigstar25 said:
I don't get it! .. how can we make such statement?

If you put 50 joules of energy into a solenoid, that will be converted into kinetic energy.
This is conservation of energy, where we're neglecting any energy that is converted into waste heat.

To do this you would need to set a voltage on the solenoid, generating a current for a certain time. The product of these (or rather the integral) yields the total energy invested in the solenoid.

Related to Calculating Initial Speed of 2.7g Ball Launched at 45° with 50V Solenoid Input

1. What is the formula for calculating initial speed?

The formula for calculating initial speed is vi = √(2gh), where vi is the initial speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

2. How do you calculate the initial speed of a 2.7g ball launched at 45° with 50V solenoid input?

To calculate the initial speed of a 2.7g ball launched at 45° with 50V solenoid input, you can use the formula vi = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2) and h is the height of the object (which can be determined by measuring the distance the ball traveled in the given time).

3. Can the initial speed be calculated without knowing the height of the object?

No, the initial speed cannot be calculated without knowing the height of the object. The formula for calculating initial speed (vi = √(2gh)) requires the height of the object as one of its variables.

4. How does the solenoid input affect the initial speed of the ball?

The solenoid input, represented by the voltage (V), affects the initial speed of the ball by providing the necessary energy to launch the ball. The higher the voltage, the greater the initial speed of the ball will be.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the initial speed of the ball?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the initial speed of the ball, such as air resistance, angle of the launch, and the mass of the ball. These factors should be taken into consideration when calculating the initial speed.