Calculating Initial Speed for an Olympic Basketball Shot

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an Olympic basketball player trying to score a basket from a certain distance and height. The variables needed for the problem are listed and the question is asked if any are missing. The conversation then delves into how to solve the problem using kinematic equations and determining the vertical and horizontal components. The conversation ends with a summary of the vertical acceleration and horizontal velocity values needed to solve the problem.
BWE38
Hi, I have a question that I can't finish, because it seems that I'm missing a particular variable. A little help would be very much appreciated.

Question: An Olympic basketball player shoots towards a basket that is 5.64 m horizontally from her and 3.05 m above the floor. The ball leaves her hand 1.62 m above the floor at an angle of 48.0 deg above the horizontal. What initial speed should she give the ball so that it reaches the basket and hopefully scores?

This is the variables that I found: xf: 5.64 m xi: 0m Yf:3.05 m yi: 1.62 m deg: 48 G: -9.81 m/s^2

Am I missing a variable, and if so can you tell me which one and explain how you founded it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that this is a two dimisional problem. But it seems like I don't have enough information to apply them to an equation of kineamatics. I need atleast three variables.

I only have two x values that I can use: they are: x: 5.64 m A: 0 m/s^2

I only have (three y vaules) technically two y values that I can use and they are: yi: 1.62m yf: 3.05 m G:-9.81

i don't think you're missing any variables. Basically you have the ball going up and coming down thru the basket and you have the ball traveling forward at speed vxi = vi * cos(48) and you know the upward speed is vyi = vi * sin(48).

so now use the equations you have and show some work.

Kineamatic Equations

V = Vo + at
X - Xo = Vot + .5at2
v2 = vo2 + 2a(X - Xo)
X - Xo = .5(Vo + V)t

What you have written doesn't mean anything because you haven't defined any of those things. The first thing you need to do is separate ""horizontal" and "vertical" components. What is the vertical acceleration. What is the horizontal acceleration?

I tried to get vxi from the equation x=xo+voxT+1/2aT^2

then I substitued the value into the same equation and got 5.64 m= 5.64 m.

I am really confused because I was expecting to get a time value. But I got the times canceling out and leaving me with meters=meters instead.

HallsofIvy said:
What you have written doesn't mean anything because you haven't defined any of those things. The first thing you need to do is separate ""horizontal" and "vertical" components. What is the vertical acceleration. What is the horizontal acceleration?

vertical acceleration: 9.81 m/s^2 (change to negative value because if gravity and velocity are both positive the ball woudn't come back down), so therefore the gravity will be -9.81 m/s^2.

horizontal velocity: is zero because air resistance is neglected and this means that it will travel at a constant velocity. Because there isn't no oxygen,carbon,... atoms causing the project tile to declerate.

Related to Calculating Initial Speed for an Olympic Basketball Shot

1. How does physics play a role in shooting accuracy in basketball?

The trajectory of a basketball shot is determined by the angle and velocity at which the ball is released. This is governed by principles of projectile motion, which involve concepts such as gravity, air resistance, and the release angle. Understanding these principles can help players adjust their shooting technique to improve their accuracy.

2. What is the science behind rebounding in basketball?

The key factor in rebounding is the conservation of momentum. When a player jumps to grab a rebound, they apply a force to the ball, causing it to change direction and speed. The force of the rebound is determined by the mass and velocity of the ball, as well as the force applied by the player. Understanding these principles can help players anticipate where the ball will go and improve their rebounding skills.

3. How does friction affect basketball players on the court?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces. In basketball, friction plays a role in a player's ability to stop, start, and change direction on the court. The amount of friction depends on the type of court surface, the player's shoes, and their movements. Understanding how friction affects movement can help players make more precise and efficient movements on the court.

4. What is the role of energy transfer in basketball?

In basketball, energy is constantly being transferred between players and the ball. When a player dribbles, they transfer energy to the ball, giving it kinetic energy. When a player catches a pass, they absorb the energy of the ball and change its direction. Understanding the principles of energy transfer can help players make more accurate passes and improve their overall coordination on the court.

5. How do different types of shots in basketball utilize physics?

Different types of shots, such as layups, jump shots, and three-pointers, all utilize different principles of physics. For example, a layup involves a higher release angle to overcome the force of gravity, while a jump shot relies on a higher release velocity to cover a greater distance. Understanding these principles can help players develop a diverse and effective shooting repertoire on the court.