Calculating Initial Mass for Nuclear Reactor Operation

In summary: The efficiency is the ratio of the electric energy generated to the energy released by the fission.In summary, the question is asking for the initial mass of 23592U needed to operate a 350 MW nuclear reactor for 3 years with a 46% efficiency. After using the equation Mass* C* efficiency as a decimal= power (e^-6) * time (in seconds), the resulting mass was 800 kg, but this was incorrect. Upon further calculations, taking into account the efficiency factor and the energy conversion process, it was determined that the correct answer may be lower than 800 kg due to the limitations of extracting energy from the fission process.
Rath123

Homework Statement

What initial mass of 23592U is required to operate a 350 MW reactor for 3 yrs? Assume 46% efficiency.

Homework Equations

I used Mass* C* efficiency as a decimal= power (e^-6) * time (in seconds)
and got 800 as the mass, however, this was incorrect

The Attempt at a Solution

(M)*(3e8)^2* .46= 350e6* 9.14 i think it was (whatever 3 years in seconds is) and i was getting 800 as the mass, or 799Kg specifically however, this is incorrect . Where am i going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
the three years in seconds was : 9.461e+7

Rath123 said:
the three years in seconds was : 9.461e+7
Your calculations are a scramble.

You should try to lay them out in some logical fashion, so others can follow.

In a nuclear reactor, only a small amount of the mass of uranium is converted to energy. The rest winds up as nuclear waste.

The fission of U-235 in the reactor is governed by the reaction discussed in this article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium-235

andrevdh said:
These processes usually involve radioactive decay: http://www.nuclear-power.net/nuclear-power/reactor-physics/atomic-nuclear-physics/radioactive-decay
although I am not sure what the efficiency factor entails.
I think the efficiency is for the conversion of the energy released by the fission into the electric power which comes out of the plant. There is a limit to the amount of energy which can be extracted from the steam turbines, generators, etc. which are all used with the nuclear reactor to turn the energy of fission into electricity.

Yes. I realized it and edited my post.

Related to Calculating Initial Mass for Nuclear Reactor Operation

What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the atomic nucleus, its composition, structure, and behavior. It also involves the study of reactions and interactions involving atomic nuclei.

What are the applications of nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics has a wide range of applications in various fields such as energy production, medicine, agriculture, and environmental protection. It is used in the development of nuclear weapons, nuclear power plants, and diagnostic tools for medical imaging.

What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus emits radiation and transforms into a more stable nucleus. This process can result in the emission of alpha, beta, or gamma particles.

What is the role of nuclear physics in energy production?

Nuclear physics plays a crucial role in energy production through the use of nuclear reactions in nuclear power plants. These reactions produce a large amount of energy and do not emit greenhouse gases, making it a cleaner alternative to fossil fuels.

What are the safety concerns related to nuclear physics?

The main safety concerns related to nuclear physics include the proper handling and disposal of radioactive materials, the risk of nuclear accidents, and the potential for the development of nuclear weapons. Strict regulations and safety protocols are in place to mitigate these risks.