Calculating Induced Current in a Circular Coil with Time-Varying Magnetic Field

In summary, The circular coil has N equal loops with diameter C. Each loop has resistivity η and diameter d. There is a field on the central axis of B(t) = B_0 sin(ωt). Find the induced current (ignoring other fields)
ma18

Homework Statement

A circular coil has N equal loops with diameter C. Each loop has resistivity η and diameter d.

There is a field on the central axis of B(t) = B_0 sin(ωt).

Find the induced current (ignoring other fields)

Homework Equations

emf = -d/dt * flux(t)
i = emf/R
R = η*l/A

The Attempt at a Solution

emf total = N * -d/dt ∫B dot dA = N * BA = N * B(t) * (pi*(C/2)^2)

R = η * (2*pi*d/2)/ (pi*(d/2)^2)

i = emf /R

I know I am doing something wrong and missing something, could somebody please tell me where I am going astray?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In expanding ##R=\eta L/A## You used the diameter d in calculation for both L and A.

##L=\pi D## in this equation, D is the diameter of what?
##A=\pi D^2\!\!/4## in this equation, D is the diameter of what?

You are given two diameters labelled C and d. Which is which?

Simon Bridge said:
In expanding ##R=\eta L/A## You used the diameter d in calculation for both L and A.

##L=\pi D## in this equation, D is the diameter of what?
##A=\pi D^2\!\!/4## in this equation, D is the diameter of what?

You are given two diameters labelled C and d. Which is which?

C is the diameter of the coil and d is the diameter of the individual loops. I guess the equation for the length should use d while the equation for area should use C. For some reason I thought these would be equal.

C is the diameter of the coil and d is the diameter of the individual loops. I guess the equation for the length should use d while the equation for area should use C. For some reason I thought these would be equal.
I think the description is a little vague on this point to be honest - I was hoping it was consistent with other work you've done so you would know better than me by context.

Usually "coil diameter" is the diameter of the coil, which would be the same as the diameter of each loop that makes up the coil - unless we are talking about a toroidal coil perhaps. So the coil diameter and the loop diameter would be the same thing. For some reason the problem statement gives them different labels ... why would this be, unless the two labels are meant to refer to different things?

But I asked [strike]two[/strike] three questions and you have only answered one.
The D in the equation for L is different from the D in the equation for A.
You need to relate the equations to the physical dimensions of the problem.

Last edited:
It says more specifically that "each loop is made of a conductor with resistivity eta and conductor diameter d"

ma18 said:
It says more specifically that "each loop is made of a conductor with resistivity eta and conductor diameter d"
... that's better.
So do you know how to finish the problem now?

You should also check the rest of your working to see if you have made similar assumptions.

I think so, because A is the cross-sectional area then d would be used whereas as L is the length of the whole wire C would be used.

Well done :)

Related to Calculating Induced Current in a Circular Coil with Time-Varying Magnetic Field

What is induced current from coil?

Induced current from coil is a phenomenon in which a changing magnetic field causes an electric current to flow in a nearby coil of wire.

How does induced current from coil work?

When a magnet moves near a coil of wire or when the magnetic field through a coil of wire changes, an electric current is induced in the wire. This is because the changing magnetic field creates a flow of electrons in the wire, producing an electric current.

What factors affect the strength of induced current from coil?

The strength of induced current from coil depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the rate at which the magnetic field changes. The greater the magnetic field strength and the faster the rate of change, the stronger the induced current will be.

What are some real-world applications of induced current from coil?

Induced current from coil is used in generators and transformers to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa. It is also used in devices such as electric motors, induction cooktops, and magnetic levitation trains.

How is induced current from coil related to Faraday's Law?

Induced current from coil is a direct result of Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that a changing magnetic field through a conductor will induce an electric current in the conductor. This law is fundamental to understanding the relationship between magnetism and electricity.