Calculating Impulse on a Ball: Mass, Radius & Speed

In summary: If the radius of the hub is smaller than the radius of the sphere, then the string will not be able to unwind completely before it comes into contact with the surface, resulting in a slip. If the radius of the hub is greater than the radius of the sphere, then the string will be able to unwind completely before it comes into contact with the surface, resulting in a roll.
jeremy222

Homework Statement

Lets say I have a ball rolling on a flat frictionless surface. I give it an impulse to set it into rolling without slipping at a speed u. The mass of the ball is m and the radius is a. How large is the impulse and where is it applied

Homework Equations

I guess linear and angular momentumn

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i know linear impulse is the change in linear momentum and for angular impulse it is the change in angular momentum. However, I am confused about what impulse is. Is it the addition of linear and angular impulse? Moreover, I think this question will have a range of answers since i doubt it is only one spot where I will apply the impulse and get rolling without slipping but I am just confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jeremy222! :smile:
jeremy222 said:
How large is the impulse and where is it applied

Well i know linear impulse is the change in linear momentum and for angular impulse it is the change in angular momentum. However, I am confused about what impulse is. Is it the addition of linear and angular impulse?

every impulsive force has a linear impulse, and also an angular impulse (which depends on whatever point you choose to calculate it about)

the question only asks for the linear impulse (and its position) :smile:
Moreover, I think this question will have a range of answers since i doubt it is only one spot where I will apply the impulse and get rolling without slipping but I am just confused.

friction is not an implusive force, so there will be slipping unless you get everything exactly right! :wink:

jeremy222 said:
However, I am confused about what impulse is.
Force x time, and it equals the total change in momentum, linear + angular, even if the impulse itself is only linear.

jeremy222 said:
a ball ... on a flat frictionless surface. ... I doubt it is only one spot where I will apply the impulse and get rolling without slipping.
Assuming that the direction of the impulse is horizontal (parallel to the frictionless surface), then there is only one point that will result in the ball "rolling" on a frictionless surface. You also have to assume that the impulse is applied in an instant and with infinite friction on the ball at the point of application of the impulse, in order to result in a change in angular momentum. It might be easier to visualize the sphere similar to a yo-yo, where the sphere is divided into two halves connected by a massless hub with an infinitely thin string wrapped around the hub. The string is pulled horizontally and it unwinds from the top of the hub. For the sphere to end up "rolling" on a frictionless surface as the string is pulled, the hub has to have a specific radius versus the radius of the sphere.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Impulse on a Ball: Mass, Radius & Speed

1. What is impulse and how is it calculated?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied.

2. How does mass affect the impulse on a ball?

The mass of a ball directly affects the impulse on it. A heavier ball will require more force to achieve the same change in momentum as a lighter ball.

3. What is the role of radius in calculating impulse on a ball?

The radius of a ball is a factor in determining the amount of force needed to achieve a certain change in momentum. A larger radius will require a larger force to achieve the same change in momentum as a smaller radius.

4. How does speed impact the impulse on a ball?

The speed of a ball also affects the impulse on it. A faster moving ball will require a greater force to achieve the same change in momentum as a slower moving ball.

5. Can you calculate the impulse on a ball if only two of the three variables (mass, radius, speed) are known?

Yes, the impulse on a ball can still be calculated if two of the three variables are known. Using the equation F∆t = m∆v, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the missing variable.