Calculating Impact Force & Duration from Spring Pressure

In summary, the person is looking for a formula to calculate the impact force and momentum of an object launched with a spring. They don't know how to calculate it, and they are looking for help from someone who knows how to do it.
Matt_B
First off, i don't know if this is the right section for this, just thought i would try though...

Here is my problem. I need a formula for impact force and duration when using spring pressure. I have the mass of the object in grams, the force of the spring, and the push length. Now i do understand that friction comes into play, but at this time i am not wanting to figure that it. Is there anyone that can help me on this one?

oh, i also have the spring pressure at the beginning of push, and the end of push, if that matters

Any other info you might need, let me know, i will try my best to provide it. :)

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me describe this a lil more.

Basically what i have is a captured spring that has a preload on it. Then i pull it back a little bit more and then release it. It does not extend past the original preload but it is launching an object and the object travels a little bit further before reaching impact. I really do not know how better to describe the situation.

Any help on this would be very appreciated. I have spent a while searching for information to help me solve this, and i have not been able to find anything. I thought i would give yall a shot :)

I don't quite understand the situation, you're firing the object with a spring right? Is this in the air like projectile motion and you want to know the time of flight and impact force with the ground?

Think of it more like a pinball machine launch. Only say there is a wall that is .100" infront of the ball. Now how do you figure out the speed of the ball when it would impact that wall when you retract the spring and let it fly?

That is the best example i have.

Ok, well you would need to find the impulse exerted by the spring on the ball and use the fact that this is equal to the change in momentum of the ball. Over such a short distance friction wouldn't really come into play significantly.

Since you have the force at the beginning and end of the push i take it you have some information on the time taken for the push. The impulse can be estimated by the average force multiplied by this time. This would give you an estimate of the impact momentum and hence the speed. Hope that helps

Related to Calculating Impact Force & Duration from Spring Pressure

1. How do you calculate impact force from spring pressure?

To calculate the impact force, you need to know the mass of the object that will be impacted, the velocity of the object before impact, and the time it takes for the object to come to a stop. The formula for calculating impact force is F = m * Δv/Δt, where F is the impact force, m is the mass of the object, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the time it takes for the object to come to a stop.

2. What is the relationship between spring pressure and impact force?

The impact force is directly proportional to the spring pressure. This means that as the spring pressure increases, the impact force also increases. This relationship can be explained by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount of compression or extension of the spring.

3. What factors can affect the duration of impact from spring pressure?

The duration of impact from spring pressure can be affected by various factors such as the mass and velocity of the object, the stiffness of the spring, the angle at which the object impacts the spring, and any external forces acting on the object during impact.

4. How can the duration of impact be calculated from spring pressure?

To calculate the duration of impact, you need to know the mass and velocity of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the angle of impact. The formula for calculating the duration of impact is t = 2π√(m/k), where t is the duration of impact, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant (stiffness).

5. Can spring pressure be used to calculate impact force and duration for all types of objects?

Spring pressure can be used to calculate impact force and duration for most solid objects, as long as the object is able to deform and compress the spring upon impact. However, it may not be accurate for objects that are very light or have irregular shapes.