Calculating Image Speed: Dubbie & Mirror Surface

In summary, the speed of the image, relative to Dubbie, is 7 m/s for the first question where Dubbie is moving directly towards a stationary mirror at 3.5 m/s. For the second question, the speed of the image is 3.5 * cos(60) * 2 = 3.5 m/s.
rhxoehwhfh
1.Dubbie is moving directly along a normal line toward a plain mirror at a speed of 3.5 m/s, what is the speed of the image relative to Dubbie?

2. What is the speed of the image, relative to Dubbie, if Dubbie walk away from the mirror surface at 3.5 m/s at an angle of 300 to the mirror surface?

First answer is 3.5m/s*2 which is 7m/s right?...

but next question I just don't get it... what kind of formula do I have to use?...

can some one please help me T.T

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the diagram of the motion of Dubbie and image starting from the mirror. You can see that at every instant the Dubbie, image and starting point form an equilateral triangle. Hence the speed of the image, relative to Dubbie is 3.5m/s.

I don't understand it still, what do you mean by hence the speed of the image?...

For the first question, is Dubbie's speed relative to the stationary mirror? If that is so, then, the speed of the image relative to Dubbie is 7 m/s.

For the second question, just find the component of the speed towards the mirror ie, 3.5 cos 60. Then multiply that by 2 just like the first question.

ok, thankyou~~

Related to Calculating Image Speed: Dubbie & Mirror Surface

1. How do I calculate the speed of an image using Dubbie and a mirror surface?

To calculate the speed of an image using Dubbie and a mirror surface, you will need to know the distance between the mirror and the object, as well as the distance between the mirror and the image. You will also need to know the speed of light, which is approximately 3x10^8 meters per second. Once you have this information, you can use the formula d=image distance/object distance x speed of light to calculate the speed of the image.

2. Can I use this method to calculate the speed of any image?

Yes, this method can be used to calculate the speed of any image as long as you have the necessary information, such as the distance between the object and the mirror, and the distance between the mirror and the image.

3. What is Dubbie and how does it help in calculating image speed?

Dubbie is a device that helps in calculating image speed by providing a reflective surface that can be used with a mirror. It allows you to measure the distance between the mirror and the object, and the distance between the mirror and the image, which are necessary for the calculation.

4. What are the units of measurement used in calculating image speed with Dubbie and a mirror surface?

The units of measurement used in this calculation are typically meters for distance and meters per second for speed. However, you can use any units of measurement as long as they are consistent.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of this calculation?

Yes, there are a few factors that can affect the accuracy of this calculation, such as human error in measuring the distances, the precision and quality of the equipment used, and external factors like air resistance. It is important to be as precise as possible when taking measurements to ensure accurate results.