Calculating Horizontal Velocity of Rock Kicked Off Bridge in Arkansas

In summary: is 321m the length of the path that the ball travels, or the height of the path that the ball travels?
MIA6

Homework Statement

A bridge rises 321m above the Arkansas river. Suppose you kick a rock horizontally off the bridge. The magnitude of the rock's horizontal displacement is 45.0 m. Fine the speed at which the rock was kicked.

Homework Equations

Vi=Vx. Dx=45m. Dy=-321m

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the speed, but my question is on my book, it says that there is no initial vertical velocity. WHy? i think when you kick a rock off the bridge, there is a initial vertical velocity?! so why the vertical initial velocity is 0? hope you can explain it to me.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
MIA6 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the speed, but my question is on my book, it says that there is no initial vertical velocity. WHy? i think when you kick a rock off the bridge, there is a initial vertical velocity?! so why the vertical initial velocity is 0? hope you can explain it to me.
The rock is kicked horizontally (impulsively) off the bridge so that it has a constant horizontal velocity only as it leaves the bridge. It then starts falling vertically with zero initial velocity, as though it was simply released from rest. It then obviously starts accelerating with gravity.

In the time that it take to fall from the point of release to the ground, it also travels 45 m horizontally.

ok, i get it. so the ball travels 321m vertically in free fall?

MIA6 said:
ok, i get it. so the ball travels 321m vertically in free fall?
Yes. Constant acceleration, g, with no initial velocity (and perhaps ignoring wind resistance).

but i have a question, because i know that 321m is a path that vertical straight down, but the path that the ball travels is half of the parabola, so if we meansure the curve and the straight line, they won't be the same.

Related to Calculating Horizontal Velocity of Rock Kicked Off Bridge in Arkansas

1. How is the horizontal velocity of a rock kicked off a bridge in Arkansas calculated?

The horizontal velocity of a rock can be calculated using the equation v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the horizontal distance traveled, and t is the time taken for the rock to travel that distance. This equation assumes that the rock is traveling at a constant speed and there is no air resistance.

2. What factors can affect the horizontal velocity of a rock kicked off a bridge?

The horizontal velocity of a rock can be affected by the initial force or speed with which it is kicked off the bridge, the angle at which it is kicked, air resistance, and the height of the bridge. Other factors such as wind speed and direction can also have an impact on the velocity of the rock.

3. Is the horizontal velocity of a rock kicked off a bridge in Arkansas different from other locations?

Yes, the horizontal velocity of a rock can vary depending on the location. Factors such as elevation, air resistance, and wind conditions can all impact the velocity of the rock.

4. Can the horizontal velocity of a rock kicked off a bridge be accurately predicted?

While the horizontal velocity of a rock can be calculated using the aforementioned equation, it may not always be accurate due to the various factors that can affect the velocity. Factors such as air resistance and wind conditions can alter the velocity of the rock, making it difficult to accurately predict.

5. How can the horizontal velocity of a rock kicked off a bridge be measured?

The horizontal velocity of a rock can be measured using various methods such as a speedometer, radar gun, or by timing the rock as it travels a known distance. It can also be calculated using the aforementioned equation if the initial speed and time are known.