Calculating Helmholtz energy (incl degeneracy)

In summary, the Helmholtz free energy can be calculated using the formula A = <E> - TS + PV, where <E> is the expected value of the internal energy, S is the entropy, and P and V are the pressure and volume of the system. For non-degenerate systems, the formula <E> = -kT (∂ ln(Z)/∂T) can be used, but for degenerate systems, the formula <E> = -kT (∂ ln(Z)/∂T) + PV must be used. Thank you for your question and keep up the good work!
guest1234
Hi

I'm trying to calculate Helmholtz free energy from definition [itex]\frac{\partial A}{\partial T}=\frac{\partial}{\partial T}(kT\mathrm{ln}\; Z)[/itex]. First
[itex]\langle E\rangle=\sum\limits_i p_i E_i=\sum\limits_i E_i\frac{g_i e^{-\beta E_i}}{Z}=\frac{1}{Z}\sum\limits_i E_i g_i e^{-\beta E_i}=-\frac{1}{Z}\sum\limits_i \frac{\partial \left(g_i e^{-\beta E_i}\right)}{\partial\beta}=-\frac{1}{Z}\frac{\partial \left(\sum\limits_i g_i e^{-\beta E_i}\right)}{\partial\beta}=-\frac{1}{Z}\frac{\partial Z}{\partial\beta}=-\frac{\partial\left(\mathrm{ln}\;Z\right)}{\partial\beta}[/itex]

Therefore the expected value of internal energy in term of partial derivatives is the same as a non-degenerate one. On the other hand, from the definition of entropy

[itex]S=-k\sum\limits_{i}p_i \mathrm{ln}\;p_i=-k\sum\limits_i \frac{g_i e^{-\beta E_i}}{Z}\mathrm{ln}\left(g_i e^{-\beta E_i }Z^{-1}\right)=-\frac{k}{Z}\sum\limits_i g_i e^{-\beta E_i}(\mathrm{ln}\; g_i -\beta E_i - \mathrm{ln}\;Z)=[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{k}{Z}\sum\limits_i\beta E_i g_i e^{-\beta E_i}+\frac{k}{Z}\sum\limits_i\beta \mathrm{ln}\;Z g_i e^{-\beta E_i}-\frac{k}{Z}\sum\limits_i \mathrm{ln}\;g_i g_i e^{-\beta E_i}=k\beta\sum\limits_i\frac{E_i g_i e^{-\beta E_i}}{Z}+\frac{k\mathrm{ln}\;Z}{Z}\sum\limits_i\frac{g_i e^{-\beta E_i}}{Z}-\frac{k}{Z}\sum\limits_i \mathrm{ln}\;g_i g_i e^{-\beta E_i}=[/itex]

[itex]=k\beta\langle E \rangle+k\mathrm{ln}\; Z-\frac{k}{Z}\sum\limits_i g_i e^{-\beta E_i}\mathrm{ln}\;g_i[/itex]

The last term really bugs me, as we cannot use [itex]\frac{\partial A}{\partial T}=\frac{\partial}{\partial T}(kT\mathrm{ln}\; Z)=k\mathrm{ln}\;Z+kT\frac{\partial}{\partial T}\mathrm{ln}\; Z[/itex] anymore, because

[itex]
\frac{\partial (\mathrm{ln}\; Z)}{\partial T}=\frac{1}{Z}\frac{\partial Z}{\partial T}=\frac{1}{Z}\sum\limits_i g_i \frac{\partial}{\partial T}e^{-\frac{E_i}{kT}}=\frac{1}{Z}\sum\limits_i g_i \frac{E_i}{kT^2}e^{-\beta E_i}=\frac{1}{kT^2}\sum\limits_i \frac{g_i E_i e^{-\beta E_i}}{Z}=\frac{\beta\langle E\rangle}{T}
[/itex]

Am I missing something or is [itex]A=\langle E\rangle-TS[/itex] only (general) way to calculate Helmholtz free energy?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. From your calculations, it seems like you are on the right track towards calculating the Helmholtz free energy. However, there are a few things that I would like to clarify.

Firstly, the definition of Helmholtz free energy is A = U - TS, where U is the internal energy and S is the entropy. This means that A is not equal to <E> - TS, but rather A = <E> - TS + PV, where P is the pressure and V is the volume. So the last term in your calculation should actually be -PV, and not -kln(g_i).

Secondly, the expected value of the internal energy can be calculated using the partial derivative method, as you have shown. However, for the entropy, it is more common to use the relation S = -k ln(Z), which is derived from the definition of entropy as S = k ln(W), where W is the number of microstates. This is because it is easier to calculate the partition function Z than the number of microstates W.

Finally, I would like to address your concern about the last term in the calculation. You are correct that we cannot use the formula <E> = -kT (∂ ln(Z)/∂T) anymore, as this only applies to non-degenerate systems. For degenerate systems, we need to use the formula <E> = -kT (∂ ln(Z)/∂T) + PV, which takes into account the degeneracy of energy levels.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Keep up the good work in your calculations!

Related to Calculating Helmholtz energy (incl degeneracy)

What is Helmholtz energy and why is it important in calculations?

Helmholtz energy, also known as the Helmholtz free energy, is a thermodynamic potential that represents the maximum amount of work that can be extracted from a thermodynamic system at a constant temperature and volume. It is important in calculations because it helps to determine the equilibrium state of a system and the direction of spontaneous processes.

What is the role of degeneracy in calculating Helmholtz energy?

Degeneracy refers to the number of ways in which a given energy level can be occupied by a system. In calculating Helmholtz energy, degeneracy is taken into account as it affects the entropy of the system. A higher degeneracy means a higher entropy, which in turn affects the Helmholtz energy of the system.

How is Helmholtz energy related to other thermodynamic potentials?

Helmholtz energy is related to other thermodynamic potentials such as internal energy, enthalpy, and Gibbs free energy through mathematical equations. For example, the relationship between Helmholtz energy and internal energy is given by F=U-TS, where F is Helmholtz energy, U is internal energy, T is temperature, and S is entropy.

What are the units of Helmholtz energy?

The units of Helmholtz energy are joules (J) in the SI system or ergs (erg) in the CGS system. It can also be expressed in terms of other units such as electronvolts (eV) or kilocalories per mole (kcal/mol).

How is Helmholtz energy calculated experimentally?

Helmholtz energy can be calculated experimentally by measuring the change in internal energy and entropy of a system at constant temperature and volume. This can be achieved through techniques such as calorimetry and measuring the heat capacity of a system. The calculated values can then be used to determine the Helmholtz energy using mathematical equations.