Calculating Height Change in a Ballistic Pendulum Lab: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the change in height for a ballistic pendulum physics lab. The person has collected results and is trying to find the change in height and bullet velocity. They are unsure about how to calculate the height change and are seeking guidance.
weasal1975
Calculate change in height?
I am working on a ballistic pendulum physics labs. I am trying to find the change in y(height) and bullet velocity.

I ran the lab and received the following results:
t (at max height (.780)
in y= -.984
final y= -789
m(bullet)=.001
m(block)=.05
g=9.81
x in= 1.452
x final=2.371

I have no idea how to calculate the height change.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When posting homework questions, please use the template that PF provides. What do you know about the ballistic pendulum? Isn't there a write-up that comes with the lab experiment? What does it say? What equations re relevant to the situation?

Related to Calculating Height Change in a Ballistic Pendulum Lab: Step-by-Step Guide

1. What is the formula for calculating height change?

The formula for calculating height change is Final Height - Initial Height = Height Change. This means subtracting the initial height from the final height to determine the difference or change in height.

2. How do you determine the initial and final height values?

The initial height is the starting height of an object, while the final height is the ending height. These values can be measured using a measuring tool such as a ruler or a tape measure. It is important to ensure accurate measurements to get an accurate height change calculation.

3. Can height change be negative?

Yes, height change can be negative. This means that the final height is lower than the initial height, resulting in a negative value for height change. For example, if an object starts at a height of 10 meters and ends at a height of 5 meters, the height change would be -5 meters.

4. What are some common units for measuring height?

Some common units for measuring height include meters (m), centimeters (cm), and feet (ft). It is important to use the same unit for both the initial and final height when calculating height change to avoid errors.

5. How can calculating height change be useful?

Calculating height change can be useful in various fields such as engineering, geology, and physics. It can help determine the change in elevation of a landform or the height of a building, and it can also be used to analyze motion and velocity of objects.