Calculating Height After Bump: A Physics Problem

In summary, the problem involves a bicycle moving over a speed bump at 6.9m/s with a radius of 1.7m and a mass of 83kg. The height of the speed bump is 10.2cm. To calculate the height reached by the bicycle once it loses contact with the speed bump, the normal force must be zero. This can be found by using F = ma in the normal direction and the centripetal acceleration formula. The angle at which the bicycle loses contact can then be found and conservation of energy can be used to solve for the height.
physx_matter
Hello fellow physicists, I am seeking help on the following problem:

A bicycle is moving over a speed bump at 6.9m/s. Calculate the height reached by the bicycle once it looses contact with the speed bump. Radius of the speed bump is 1.7m and mass of the bicycle is 83 kg. For this problem consider the bicycle as a point mass. Height of the speed bump is 10.2 cm.

You can consider that the bicycle is moving as a projectile once it has lost contact with the speed bump.

Any help much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a note: I have not done physics for around two years now and saw this question and found it interesting. I have tried to use the v=u+at and other equations and simply cannot find how to go about this. I studied physics at A-level but did am doing Pharmacy at university. It's not for homework or anything just something I was curious about! Thanks.

Welcome to PF!

Hello physx_matter! Welcome to PF! :wink:

The bicycle will lose contact when the normal force is zero.

So use F = ma in the normal direction, and the centripetal acceleration formula, a = v2/r, to find the angle at which is loses contact. After that, use conservation of energy. :smile:

Thanks for the welcome Tiny tim and also great advice! I need to brush up my physics as I enjoyed it quite alot. Might bring out my old A-level textbook once uni exams are done. I'm off to hit the notepad.

:) Thanks again.

Hello again Tiny Tim, I am still stuck on this question. If the normal forceis 0 the a=0 aso does it not? Also to find the angle it leaves the bump I would need a formula that has theta in it as far as I can remember. WIll I not need to use the angular velocity equation? This has me in loops now :(.

No, a = v2/r, where r is the radius of curvature.

Yes, you need to find θ, but you don't need the angular velocity.

Related to Calculating Height After Bump: A Physics Problem

1. How do you calculate the height after a bump?

To calculate the height after a bump, you will need to use the equations of motion and take into account variables such as initial velocity, acceleration, and time. You can also use a formula specifically designed for calculating the height of an object after a bump, which is h = (v^2)/(2g), where h is the height, v is the velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the importance of calculating height after a bump?

Calculating height after a bump is important in understanding the motion of an object and its energy. It can also be used in real-life scenarios such as designing amusement park rides or analyzing the impact of a car crash.

3. How does the angle of the bump affect the height calculation?

The angle of the bump can affect the height calculation as it changes the direction of the initial velocity and the acceleration of the object. This can result in a change in the final height of the object after the bump.

4. Can you calculate the height after a bump without knowing the initial velocity?

No, the initial velocity is a crucial variable in calculating the height after a bump. Without it, the height cannot be accurately determined as it directly affects the object's motion and energy.

5. What other factors can affect the height calculation?

Aside from the initial velocity and angle of the bump, other factors that can affect the height calculation include air resistance, the shape and weight of the object, and external forces acting on the object such as friction or wind.