Calculating heat generated by a resistance wire

In summary, the individual is seeking to calculate the amount of heat that a resistance wire will produce when energized. They have calculated the wattage per square inch of the heating element they plan to build, but are unsure of how much actual heat it will give off. They also want to design an electric coil to heat an object 5" away to 350F, using air as the medium. The individual is trying to save money by making their own coil with a nickel-chromium wire, but needs to determine the length and resistance of the wire in order to calculate the heat output.
privitmj
How can I calculate how much heat a resistance wire gives off when I energize it? For example, I have calculated the wattage per square inch of a heating element I plan on building. How do I know how much actual heat it will give off?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it. Law of conservation of energy.

Or I should say how do I design an electric coil that when energize will heat an object 5" away up to 350F?

That's an entirely different question.

It depends. How efficiently the heat is transferred from the coil to the object? What medium separates them? Where else can the heat energy go? What is the nature of the object? etc...

The medium is air. I am basically trying to design my own infrared heating panel to heat an epoxy to 350F. I am not concerned about losses as I plan on over compensating with temperature i.e. designing a coil that will go to 600F or so. Basically i need to figure out how to calculate how much heat a coil has the ability to "give off". To go into more detail, I want to design a 16"x16" heating panel that has the ability to heat epoxy about 5" away to 350F. I plan on using a resistive heating wire and making my own coil. This should save me about $600 :OP

*I plan on using a nickel-chromium wire of lengh and resistance to be determined.

Related to Calculating heat generated by a resistance wire

1. How is heat generated by a resistance wire calculated?

The heat generated by a resistance wire can be calculated using the formula: Q = I^2 x R x t, where Q is the heat generated in Joules, I is the current flowing through the wire in Amperes, R is the resistance of the wire in Ohms, and t is the time in seconds.

2. What is the relationship between current and heat generated in a resistance wire?

There is a direct relationship between the current flowing through a resistance wire and the amount of heat generated. As the current increases, so does the heat generated. This is because more current means more energy is passing through the wire and being converted into heat.

3. How does the resistance of the wire affect the heat generated?

The resistance of the wire has a direct impact on the amount of heat generated. A higher resistance means more energy is being converted into heat, resulting in a higher heat output. Conversely, a lower resistance will result in less heat being generated.

4. Can the length or thickness of the wire affect the calculation of heat generated?

Yes, the length and thickness of the wire can affect the calculation of heat generated. A longer wire will have a higher resistance, resulting in more heat being generated. Similarly, a thicker wire will have a lower resistance and therefore generate less heat.

5. What are the units of measurement for heat generated by a resistance wire?

The units of measurement for heat generated by a resistance wire are Joules (J). One Joule is equal to the amount of energy needed to produce one watt of power for one second. This unit is commonly used in the field of thermodynamics and heat transfer.