Calculating Heat Flow in Composite Sheet with Different Thermal Conductivities

In summary, the problem involves two sheets, one made of rubber and one made of cardboard, with different thermal conductivities and maintained at different temperatures. Using the equation for heat conduction, the quantity of heat flowing through the composite sheet can be found by calculating the thermal resistance of each layer and adding them together. This can be done by transforming the resistance into a conductivity or using the formula directly. Care must be taken with the dimensions of the variables.
KingOfQuestions
1. A sheet of rubber and a sheet of cardboard, each 2 mm thick, are pressed together and their outer faces are maintained respectively at 0 oC and 25 oC. If the thermal conductivities of rubber and cardboard are respectively 0.13 and 0.05 W m-1 K-1, find the quantity of heat which flows in one hour across a piece of the composite sheet of area 100 cm2. 2. I know how to solve the problem when a single object with one thermal conductivity is give, But how do I solve a problem with two different objects with two different thermal conductivities?3. I used the equation Heat conduction Q/ Time = (Thermal conductivity) x (Area) x (Thot -Tcold)/Thickness to find the Heat which flows in the rubber and the cardboard seperately but after that I was at a lost.

Please help me solve it. An explanation would be nice if possible because I don't really care about the answer I just want to know how to do it.
Thanks in Advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Each of the layers can also be seen as a thermal resistance (which is the inverse value of the conductivity). Accoring to Ohm's law (which is much more common: U = R⋅I), you can also establish the same formula for heat transfer/conduction: ΔT = RTh ⋅ Q. You can find the (total) resistance of thermal resistances in series and parallel like it is done with electrical resistances/impedances. It#s up to you if you transform the gained RTh back into a conductivity and use Q = K ⋅ ΔT or Q = ΔT / RTh ⋅A. Just be careful with the dimenions of K and RTh, but as you know the formula, the adaption should be easy.

Related to Calculating Heat Flow in Composite Sheet with Different Thermal Conductivities

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter at the microscopic level and how it relates to temperature and heat. It focuses on understanding the movement and transfer of energy within a system.

2. What is the difference between temperature and heat?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system, while heat is the transfer of energy between two systems due to a temperature difference. In other words, temperature is a property of a system, while heat is a process that occurs between systems.

3. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred and converted from one form to another. In thermal physics, this law is often used to analyze the transfer of heat and work within a system.

4. How do you calculate the change in internal energy of a system?

The change in internal energy of a system can be calculated using the first law of thermodynamics: ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat transferred to the system, and W is the work done by the system. This equation assumes that the system is closed, meaning no matter can enter or leave the system.

5. What is thermal equilibrium?

Thermal equilibrium is a state in which two systems are at the same temperature and there is no net transfer of heat between them. This occurs when the systems have reached a balance in the exchange of energy, and their temperatures are equalized. In thermal physics, thermal equilibrium is an important concept in understanding how heat flows within a system.