Calculating Heat Energy from Falling Object

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating heat energy produced during the fall of a 16 kg object from a height of 25 m, with a final speed of 18 m/s. The solution involves using the conservation of energy and the potential energy formula, mgh. The correct answer is B) 2,600 J.
dragon513
Calculating heat energy...

Q. #1
A 16 kg object is dropped from a height of 25 m and strikes the ground with a speed of 18 m/s. How much heat energy was produced during the fall?

Choices
A) 0 J
B) 2 600 J
C) 1 300 J
D) 3 900 J

Well,according to my calculation, the average acceleration was about 6.48m/s, which means 3.32N/kg acted as air friction.

And I'm lost from there.

Help will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Energy is conserved! :)

Like Tide said remember

[tex] \Delta K + \Delta U = W_{friction} [/tex]

dragon513 said:
Q. #1
A 16 kg object is dropped from a height of 25 m and strikes the ground with a speed of 18 m/s. How much heat energy was produced during the fall?
Choices
A) 0 J
B) 2 600 J
C) 1 300 J
D) 3 900 J
Well,according to my calculation, the average acceleration was about 6.48m/s, which means 3.32N/kg acted as air friction.
And I'm lost from there.
Help will be greatly appreciated!
You don't have to work out force or average speed. Just use potential energy: mgh.

AM

ouch, I learned that a year ago and I have no idea how can I forget such thing ...Thx!

Related to Calculating Heat Energy from Falling Object

1. How do you calculate heat energy?

The formula for calculating heat energy is Q = mcΔT, where Q represents the heat energy, m is the mass of the object, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. What unit is used to measure heat energy?

The unit used to measure heat energy is joules (J). Other common units include calories (cal) and British thermal units (BTU).

3. Can heat energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, heat energy can be converted into other forms of energy through processes such as thermoelectric conversion, which converts heat energy into electricity, or combustion, which converts heat energy into mechanical energy.

4. How does the specific heat capacity affect heat energy calculations?

The specific heat capacity is a measure of how much heat energy is needed to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. A higher specific heat capacity means that more heat energy is required to raise the temperature of the substance, and vice versa.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect heat energy calculations?

Other factors that can affect heat energy calculations include the type of material, the phase of the material (solid, liquid, or gas), and any phase changes that occur during the process. It is important to consider these factors when calculating heat energy accurately.