Calculating half life (Decay Constant)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the half life of a radioactive nuclide that drops 78.5% of its initial value in 2000 years. The solution involves using the equation A2^{-t/T} = .785A and taking a logarithm to solve for T. The units of the decay constant are reciprocal years, and the half life can be calculated by setting the ratio of N's equal to 1/2.
franwilder

Homework Statement

The activity of a radioactive nuclide drops 78.5% of it's initial value in 2000 years.

Homework Equations

I know I need to use the decay constant to work out my answer so I have re-arranged the equation as illustrated in my picture, the only problem is I cannot work out the answer and am unsure of which units to use and where they go

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_0606[1].jpg
    IMG_0606[1].jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 546
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you don't need a "decay constant", you just need the definition of "half life". If T is the half life, in years, then after t years the amount left will be [itex]A(1/2)^{t/T}= A2^{-t/T}[/itex] where A is the initial amount at time t= 0.

"The activity of a radioactive nuclide drops 78.5% of it's initial value in 2000 years."

So [itex]A2^{-2000/T}= .785A[/itex]. Can you solve that for T? You will need to take a logarithm of both sides.

If the value drops 78.5% then there will only be 21.5% left (just a tad over 2 half lives).

franwilder said:

Homework Statement

The activity of a radioactive nuclide drops 78.5% of it's initial value in 2000 years.

Homework Equations

I know I need to use the decay constant to work out my answer so I have re-arranged the equation as illustrated in my picture, the only problem is I cannot work out the answer and am unsure of which units to use and where they go

The Attempt at a Solution

The units of the decay constant are reciprocal years, since the ln of the ratio of the N's is dimensionless. So you first solve for lambda, and then use your equation again to calculate the value of t that makes the ratio of N's equal to 1/2. This is the half life.

Calculating the decay constant (also known as the half-life) is an important aspect of studying radioactive materials. In this case, we are given the information that the activity of a radioactive nuclide drops 78.5% of its initial value in 2000 years. This means that after 2000 years, only 21.5% of the original activity remains.

To calculate the decay constant, we can use the equation:

N(t) = N0 * e^(-λt)

Where:
N(t) = the amount of radioactive material remaining after time t
N0 = the initial amount of radioactive material
λ = the decay constant
t = time

We can rearrange this equation to solve for the decay constant, λ:

λ = -ln(0.785) / 2000

λ = 0.000109 / year

This means that the decay constant for this particular nuclide is approximately 0.000109 per year. This value represents the rate at which the nuclide decays. We can also use this value to calculate the half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the original material to decay.

To calculate the half-life, we can use the equation:

t1/2 = ln(2) / λ

Substituting in our value for λ, we get:

t1/2 = ln(2) / 0.000109

t1/2 = 6366 years

This means that the half-life of this nuclide is approximately 6366 years. This information can be useful in understanding the behavior of radioactive materials and their potential impact on the environment and human health.

Related to Calculating half life (Decay Constant)

What is half life?

Half life is the amount of time it takes for half of a radioactive substance to decay.

How is half life calculated?

Half life is calculated using the decay constant, which is the probability per unit time that a nucleus will decay. The formula for calculating half life is t1/2 = ln(2)/λ, where t1/2 is the half life and λ is the decay constant.

Why is half life important in radioactive decay?

Half life is important because it allows us to predict the rate of decay of a radioactive substance. This information is crucial in many fields, such as medicine, environmental science, and nuclear energy.

How does the initial amount of a substance affect its half life?

The initial amount of a substance does not affect its half life. The half life is a constant characteristic of the substance and remains the same regardless of the initial amount.

Can the half life of a substance be changed?

The half life of a substance cannot be changed. It is a unique property of the substance and is not affected by external factors.