Calculating Gyroscope Torque for Stabilization Design

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of calculating the resistance of a gyroscope to an applied torque on the primary axis when the secondary axis is fixed. The individual is using this information to design a gyro for stabilizing a two-wheeled vehicle against impacts. They reference a video of a similar vehicle for an example of the desired capabilities.
mullenc525
Hello,

I think what i have is a simple question and yet it is not answered by most of the articles on gyroscopes.

I am wondering how I can calculate the amount of resistance a gyroscope develops to an applied torque on the primary axis when the secondary axis is fixed. Ie, torque is applied perpendicular to the spin axis, and this axis perpendicular to the spin axis is the only degree of freedom of the gyro.

I am guessing the applied torque, angular velocity about the perpendicular axis, and angular momentum about the spin axis are related through a simple formula - I don't want to work my way through all the cross products though!

I am using this to design a gyro to stabilize a 2 wheeled vehicle. I want the vehicle to be able to self stabilize against a moderate impact such as another vehicle of similar size colliding with it at low speed.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically I want to build something that has similar capabilities to the vehicle in the video on this page: http://thrustcycle.com/ See about second 44. I'm trying to estimate what sort of angular momentum that gyro has.

Related to Calculating Gyroscope Torque for Stabilization Design

1. What is a gyroscope and how does it work?

A gyroscope is a device that consists of a spinning wheel or disk that is mounted on a set of gimbals. It works by utilizing the principle of angular momentum, where the spinning wheel maintains its orientation in space regardless of external forces acting on it. This allows the gyroscope to provide a reference point for measuring rotational motion.

2. What is gyroscope torque and how is it calculated?

Gyroscope torque is the force that causes the gyroscope to rotate around its axis. It is calculated by multiplying the angular velocity (ω) of the gyroscope by its moment of inertia (I). This can be represented by the equation: τ = Iω.

3. How does the mass and shape of a gyroscope affect its torque?

The mass and shape of a gyroscope can affect its torque by influencing its moment of inertia. A gyroscope with a larger mass or a more spread out shape will have a greater moment of inertia, resulting in a higher torque for a given angular velocity. This is why larger or more elongated gyroscopes are often used in applications that require higher torque.

4. Can gyroscope torque be increased or decreased?

Yes, gyroscope torque can be increased or decreased by changing the angular velocity or moment of inertia. Increasing the angular velocity will result in a higher torque, while increasing the moment of inertia will decrease the torque. This can be achieved by changing the speed of the spinning wheel or by altering the mass or shape of the gyroscope.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating gyroscope torque?

Gyroscope torque is used in a variety of applications, including navigation systems, spacecraft control, and stabilization of vehicles and cameras. It is also used in measuring devices such as gyroscopic compasses and gyroscopic levels. Additionally, the principles of gyroscope torque are applied in sports equipment, such as bicycles and motorcycles, to improve stability and control.