Calculating Gravitational Field Constants for Mars, Jupiter, and Mercury

In summary, to calculate the gravitational field constants for Mars, Jupiter, and Mercury, use Newton's Second Law of Motion in conjunction with Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation. Substitute the given masses into the equation F=mg and solve for g. The correct answers are: Mars - 3.61 m/s^2, Jupiter - 24.6 m/s^2, and Mercury - 3.31 m/s^2.
Dyna
1. Calculate the gravitational field constants for the following:
Mars (r=3.43 x 10^6m , m= 6.37 x 10^23 kg)
Jupiter (r= 7.18 x 10^7 , m = 1.90 x 10^27kg)
Mercury (r=2.57 x 10^6m , m= 3.28 x 10^23 kg)

2. F = mg
Fg = Gm1m2
r^2

3. So i tried subbing these given masses into the second equation but it does not give me the correct answer.
Am i not using the correct equation?
I only just learned this in school on Friday and it was quite confusing as to what i should be using to find my answers.
The answer key says:
Mars: 3.61 m/s^2
jupiter: 24.6m/s^2
mercury: 3.31m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Newton's Second Law of Motion in conjunction with Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation.

In other words, since you're only given one mass (the planet's mass, call it m2), you've got to get rid of the second mass m1. You have the right equation to do this, F=mg. If you sub that into the left side, one of your m's will drop out, and you're left with g on the left side, and the correct answer on the right :)

Related to Calculating Gravitational Field Constants for Mars, Jupiter, and Mercury

1. What is a gravitational field constant?

A gravitational field constant, also known as the gravitational constant, is a physical constant that is used to determine the strength of the gravitational force between two objects with mass. It is denoted by the symbol G and has a value of approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

2. How is the gravitational field constant measured?

The gravitational field constant is typically measured using a torsion balance experiment, where the gravitational force between two masses is balanced against a known force. This can also be calculated using data from astronomical observations and experiments.

3. Is the gravitational field constant the same everywhere in the universe?

Yes, the gravitational field constant is a universal constant and remains the same throughout the universe. It does not depend on the location or mass of the objects involved.

4. How does the gravitational field constant affect the strength of the gravitational force?

The gravitational field constant is directly proportional to the mass of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that an increase in mass or a decrease in distance will result in a stronger gravitational force.

5. Why is the value of the gravitational field constant important in physics?

The value of the gravitational field constant is important in many areas of physics, such as celestial mechanics, astrophysics, and cosmology. It is used in calculations involving gravitational forces, orbital motion, and the structure and evolution of galaxies and the universe.