Calculating Glasshouse Heat: A Question from CJ

• Thread starter CyberJay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for determining the temperature inside a glasshouse, taking into account the properties of the glass and the amount of energy entering and leaving the structure. One suggestion is to use a software program to calculate the heat flux, while another suggests solving for the temperature that makes the energy entering and leaving the glasshouse equal.
CyberJay
Hi
Can anybody tell me if there is a way to work out how hot it gets in a glasshouse?
I realize it would depend on the properties of the glass but I don't know that either. Which properties do what?
thanks guys
CJ

Science news on Phys.org
Find the energy going into the greenhouse -- i.e., from sunlight through the glass roof.

Find the amount of energy that leaves the greenhouse as a function of temperature -- i.e. from heat rerediated through the glass, and absorbed by the earth, and lost through the walls.

Solve for the temperature that makes them equal.

- Warren

I use THIS software. It does the opposite of what you are asking: it calculates the heat flux for a given set of conditions. It wouldn't be too tough to use trial and error to find the temperature at which the heat flux is zero.

Related to Calculating Glasshouse Heat: A Question from CJ

1. How do I calculate the heat needed for my glasshouse?

To calculate the heat needed for a glasshouse, you will need to know the size of the glasshouse, the desired temperature, the outside temperature, and the heat loss coefficient of the glasshouse. The formula for calculating heat needed is: heat needed = glasshouse size x (desired temperature - outside temperature) x heat loss coefficient.

2. What is the heat loss coefficient for a glasshouse?

The heat loss coefficient for a glasshouse is a measure of how much heat is lost per unit area, per unit temperature difference between the inside and outside of the glasshouse. It takes into account factors such as the type of glass used, the thickness of the glass, and the amount of insulation present in the glasshouse. The lower the heat loss coefficient, the less heat is lost and the less heat will be needed to maintain the desired temperature.

3. How do I determine the size of my glasshouse?

The size of a glasshouse can be determined by measuring the length, width, and height of the structure. If the glasshouse is irregularly shaped, you can divide it into smaller, regular shapes and calculate the area of each shape separately, then add them together to get the total area. It is important to include any windows, doors, or other openings in the calculation as these can impact the heat needed to maintain the desired temperature.

4. Can I use a different formula for calculating heat if I have a greenhouse instead of a glasshouse?

Yes, the formula for calculating heat needed for a greenhouse is slightly different. Instead of using the heat loss coefficient, you will need to use the U-value, which is a measure of heat transfer through a material. The formula for calculating heat needed for a greenhouse is: heat needed = greenhouse size x (desired temperature - outside temperature) x U-value.

5. How often should I recalculate the heat needed for my glasshouse?

The heat needed for a glasshouse can vary depending on factors such as weather conditions, the type of plants being grown, and the age of the glasshouse. It is recommended to recalculate the heat needed at least once a year, preferably before the start of the growing season, to ensure proper temperature control and energy efficiency.