Calculating Frictional Work on a Child Sliding Down a Playground Slide

In summary, a 40 kg child slides down a 2.5 m playground slide at an angle of 22 degrees with a speed of 3 m/s. The work done by friction during the descent can be determined by using the relationship between work and energy, with the work term encompassing both frictional work and thermal energy. This can be expressed as P(i) + W = K(f) + Thermal Energy, where P(i) is the initial potential energy and K(f) is the final kinetic energy. By assuming that friction work and thermal energy go hand in hand, the unknown work value can be solved for.
AZhang
A 40 kg child climbs a 2.5 m vertical ladder to the top of a playground slide. Starting from rest at the top of the ladder, the child slides down the incline, which makes an angle of 22 degrees with the horizontal ground. Friction is present during the descent and the child reaches the bottom of the slide with a speed of 3 m/s.

Determine the work done by friction as the child comes down the slide.

I know that the P(i) = 367 J and K(f) = 187 J. What should I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should come up with a relationship between work and energy, including work lost by friction. From there it's a cinch from what you already have.

Well, from our energy conservation equation, P(i) + K(i) + W = P(f) + K(f) + Thermal Energy
In this case, there is no initial kinetic energy or final potential energy, so our equation would be P(i) + W = K(f) + Thermal Energy, work being the friction force. But then there are two unknowns, both the work and the Thermal energy?

Assume that friction work and thermal energy go hand in hand, in other words the frictional "work" term encompasses them both.

Oh, I get it. Thanks :)

Related to Calculating Frictional Work on a Child Sliding Down a Playground Slide

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and slide against each other. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces and the interlocking of the irregularities, which results in a force that opposes motion.

2. What factors affect the amount of frictional force?

The amount of frictional force is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the speed of the objects in motion. Additionally, the presence of lubricants or surface coatings can also affect the amount of frictional force.

3. How is frictional force different from other types of forces?

Unlike other types of forces, frictional force only occurs when two surfaces are in contact and moving relative to one another. It always opposes the direction of motion, while other forces can act in any direction. Frictional force also depends on the type of surfaces in contact, while other forces, like gravity, are universal.

4. How can frictional force be beneficial?

Frictional force can be beneficial in many ways. It allows us to walk without slipping, drive vehicles, and use tools. It also helps objects stay in place, such as when we place a book on a table. Frictional force is also essential in braking systems, as it helps slow down or stop moving objects.

5. How can frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. These substances create a thin layer that helps reduce the roughness and interlocking of the surfaces, thus reducing friction. Another way to reduce frictional force is by using smoother and more polished surfaces or by applying a surface coating that reduces friction.