Calculating Frictional Force: Solving for u in a Horizontal Curve | Physics Help

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with a physics problem involving a car moving at a certain speed around a curve and the fictional force needed to keep the car from sliding. The person provides their approach to solving the problem and realizes they misinterpreted the question, as it asks for the frictional force rather than the coefficient of friction.
mixedtape_15
I really am not getting this physics stuff...again I thought I had this one figured out but it doesn't seem to be right.
So the question...
A 49.2 kg car is moving at 12.6 m/s around a horizontal curve whose radius is 31.3 m. What is the magnitude of the fictional force required to keep the car from sliding?

and this is what I did..
I found my net force for x and y
Fy = may
Fy = 0
N- W = 0
N = mg

Fx = max
fs = max
u x N = m(v^2/r)

so then I substituted in my N and got
u x mg = m(v^2/r)

and I solved for u (frictional force...I'm just using u for the term)

u x (49.2kg)(9.81m/s^2) = (49.2kg)(12.6^2/31.3m)

and it works out to be 0.517 and the computer is telling me I'm wrong once again. so I must be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question does not ask you to find μ. It asks you for the frictional force.

Thank you! I have some serious problems with reading these things wrong.

Related to Calculating Frictional Force: Solving for u in a Horizontal Curve | Physics Help

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and move against each other.

2. How is frictional force measured?

Frictional force can be measured using a device called a dynamometer, which measures the force required to overcome the resistance caused by friction.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of frictional force?

The magnitude of frictional force is affected by the roughness of the surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the type of material the surfaces are made of.

4. How can frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces to reduce the roughness and allow for smoother movement.

5. What are some real-world applications of frictional force?

Frictional force has many practical applications, such as creating traction between tires and road surfaces, slowing down moving objects, and allowing us to grip and hold onto objects.