Calculating Frictional Force of a Sliding Mass

In summary, the 10.0 kg mass is placed on a 25.0o incline and is prevented from sliding by static friction. When given a shove, the mass slides down the incline due to sliding friction.
zedx

Homework Statement

A 10.0-kg mass is placed on a 25.0o degree incline and friction keeps it from sliding. The
coefficient of static friction in this case is 0.580, and the coefficient of sliding friction is
0.520. The mass is given a shove causing it to slide down the incline.

Homework Equations

What is the frictional
force while the mass is sliding?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is all I have so far, but I don't exactly understand it:

Frictional force while the mass is sliding = μmgcosθ = 0.52 X 10 X 9.8 X cos 25
= 46.19 N

I need a full step-by-step explanation, if possible. I'll also take any other information about the problem that may make it easier. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your 46.19 is correct.
You also need to find the downward, along the ramp force. It is the other component of mg, that is mg*sin(25). The net force along the ramp is this force minus the friction force.

I always draw the ramp, put the mass at the very top and draw the mg force vector straight down. Then separate that mg into the sum of a force along the ramp and perpendicular to the ramp. The perpendicular force is the normal force pulling the mass against the ramp surface.

Welcome to PF;
Draw a free-body diagram for the mass and you'll see how that relation was found.

Delphi51 said:
Your 46.19 is correct.
You also need to find the downward, along the ramp force. It is the other component of mg, that is mg*sin(25). The net force along the ramp is this force minus the friction force.

I always draw the ramp, put the mass at the very top and draw the mg force vector straight down. Then separate that mg into the sum of a force along the ramp and perpendicular to the ramp. The perpendicular force is the normal force pulling the mass against the ramp surface.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
Draw a free-body diagram for the mass and you'll see how that relation was found.

I'll do all of the above. Thank you.

Cool! Let us know how you get on.

Related to Calculating Frictional Force of a Sliding Mass

What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides or moves against another surface. It is caused by the interaction between the surfaces of two objects in contact.

How is the frictional force of a sliding mass calculated?

The frictional force of a sliding mass can be calculated using the equation F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force (the force exerted by the surface on the object).

What factors affect the frictional force of a sliding mass?

The frictional force of a sliding mass is affected by the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the roughness of the surfaces in contact. Additionally, the speed and temperature of the object can also affect the frictional force.

How does surface area affect the frictional force of a sliding mass?

Surface area does not directly affect the frictional force of a sliding mass. However, a larger surface area may distribute the weight of the object over a larger area, resulting in a decrease in the normal force and therefore a decrease in the frictional force.

Can frictional force be completely eliminated?

No, frictional force cannot be completely eliminated. It is a natural force that occurs whenever two surfaces are in contact. However, it can be reduced by using lubricants between the surfaces or by choosing materials with lower coefficients of friction.