Calculating Friction Force: A Toy Train Example

In summary, the problem presents a toy train moving at 9.0m/s and coming to a stop in 6.0s after the power is turned off. However, there is not enough information provided to calculate the net force on friction acting on the train. The given data allows for the calculation of acceleration using kinematics, but not enough to find the friction force. The problem cannot be solved as it is phrased due to the missing mass or coefficient of kinetic friction.
dance_sg

Homework Statement

A toy train moves along the track at 9.0m/s. When the power is turned off, the train comes to a stop in 6.0s. The net force on friction acting on the train to stop it is

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

how do i find mass and acceleration so that i can find force??

Physics news on Phys.org
Enough information is given for you to figure out the acceleration using kinematics, but not enough to find the friction force. Are you sure you are presenting it word-for-word as it was given?

yes I am one hundred percent sure.

dance_sg said:
yes I am one hundred percent sure.

This bothers me. Consider a real life freight train moving at the same initial speed and stopping in the same time. Surely the average force acting on it must be greater in this case. Something is missing or the problem cannot be done the way it is phrased.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
This bothers me. Consider a real life freight train moving at the same initial speed and stopping in the same time. Surely the average force acting on it must be greater in this case. Something is missing or the problem cannot be done the way it is phrased.

Yes, the scaling factor is the mass of the freight train compared to that of the toy train. Their accelerations would be the same, but as their masses are different, the force required to bring about those accelerations would differ.

As for my perspective on the problem, I could single out the coefficient of kinetic friction, but couldn't for the life of me find an expression for the mass in terms of the question's data, so the actual force eluded me.

kuruman said:
Something is missing or the problem cannot be done the way it is phrased.
Right. As I said, there is not enough information given to solve for the net force.

Related to Calculating Friction Force: A Toy Train Example

1. How is friction force calculated in the context of a toy train example?

In order to calculate friction force in a toy train example, you will need to know the mass of the train, the coefficient of friction between the train and the surface it is moving on, and the acceleration of the train. You can then use the formula F = μmg, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the train, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect the calculation of friction force?

The coefficient of friction is a value that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless number and can range from 0 (no friction) to 1 (high friction). The higher the coefficient of friction, the greater the friction force will be between the two surfaces.

3. How does the mass of the toy train impact the friction force calculation?

The mass of the toy train plays a significant role in the calculation of friction force. The greater the mass of the train, the greater the force of gravity acting on it. This means that the train will have a higher downward force, resulting in a higher friction force needed to overcome this downward force and move the train forward.

4. Can friction force be greater than the applied force on the toy train?

In some cases, the friction force can indeed be greater than the applied force on the toy train. This is because the amount of friction force depends on the coefficient of friction and the weight of the train, while the applied force may be limited. This can result in the train not moving or moving at a slower rate than expected.

5. How does the surface on which the toy train is moving affect the friction force calculation?

The type of surface on which the toy train is moving can greatly impact the calculation of friction force. Different surfaces have different coefficients of friction, so the same train may experience a different friction force when moving on a rough surface compared to a smooth surface. Additionally, the condition of the surface (such as being wet or covered in debris) can also affect the calculation of friction force.