Calculating forward force?

In summary, the car tires have a coefficient of friction of .06 and are accelerating at 5/ms^2. The forward force exerted by the car engine can be calculated using the equation f=m*a, with a resulting value of 2500 N. However, this may not be the actual force exerted by the engine as it is limited by the maximum static friction between the tires and the road. The maximum force before the wheels spin can be determined by setting the coefficient of friction equal to the ratio of friction to the calculated forward force, resulting in a value of 150 N for friction and a net forward force of 2350 N. It is important to note that the car engine can only push the wheels on the road
kokodile

Homework Statement

Car tires have a coefficient of friction of .06 and the tires are accelerating at 5/ms^2. If the total mass of the car is 500 kgm, calculate the forward force exerted by the car engine.

Homework Equations

I know that .06 is Mu and Mu is equal to friction/normal force. And I know that force=m*a.

The Attempt at a Solution

I sometimes get confused with the difference forces. I calculated the forward force to be 2500 N by doing f=(500)(5). But I'm not sure if that's right because isn't this equation only for normal force? Can it also be for forward force?
Then I did .06=friction/2500 and I got 150 N for friction. So if friction is 150 N and forward force is 2500 then the net forward force exerted by the car engine would be 2350 N.

Is this correct? I have a feeling it's not...

Physics news on Phys.org
Friction between road and tyres is the only force accelerating the car.
The car engine can push the wheels on the road only as hard as the static friction between tyres and the road allows - any more and the wheels will spin.
You are being asked to work out this maximum amount of force before the wheels spin.

Related to Calculating forward force?

1. How do you calculate forward force?

Forward force is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its acceleration in the direction of motion. This can be represented by the formula F=ma, where F is the forward force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. What is the unit of measurement for forward force?

The unit of measurement for forward force is Newtons (N). One Newton is equivalent to 1 kilogram meter per second squared (kg*m/s^2).

3. How does the angle of an object affect its forward force?

The angle of an object can affect its forward force by changing the direction of the force. If the angle is perpendicular to the direction of motion, the full amount of force will be applied. However, as the angle becomes more parallel, the amount of force decreases.

4. Can you calculate forward force without knowing the mass?

No, the mass of an object is a necessary component in calculating forward force. Without knowing the mass, the force cannot be accurately determined.

5. How can you increase the forward force of an object?

The forward force of an object can be increased by either increasing its acceleration or increasing its mass. This can be achieved through various methods such as applying a greater force, reducing friction, or adding mass to the object.