Calculating Forces with Friction and Newton's Laws

In summary, the conversation was about finding the force that two crates exert on each other with a given friction coefficient, mass, and applied force. The solution involved treating the system as a whole to find the acceleration, drawing free-body diagrams for each crate, and using the equation F=ma to find the force acting on one crate by the other. The conversation also discussed accounting for friction and checking the calculation of acceleration.
aceXstudent
Hi there,

I'm having some trouble with this problem right now. We are learning about Newton's First/Second/Third Laws.

With a friction coefficient of 0.15, what is the force that the crates exert on each other if the crate 1 is 75kg and crate 2 is 110kg with a push of 730N?

Can anyone give me pointers or starters?

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat the system as a whole to get acceleration.

Errrr... I was looking for the force that each box exerts on each other, not the acceleration...

But thanks anyways.

aceXstudent said:
Errrr... I was looking for the force that each box exerts on each other, not the acceleration...

But thanks anyways.

I didn't give you the complete story. You asked for pointers/starters.

Let me elaborate: Treat the system as a whole to find the acceleration of the entire system (use F = ma.) The system moves as a whole, thus each box will have the acceleration that you found. Continue by drawing free-body diagrams for each box and keep in mind that [itex]F_{12} = -F_{21}[/itex] ([itex]F_{12}[/itex] - read "force acted on box two by box one.")

Last edited:
-_-, still confused, sorry... acceleration is 2.48m/s^2-- what do i do with that number?

aceXstudent said:
-_-, still confused, sorry... acceleration is 2.48m/s^2-- what do i do with that number?

I don't know if you read my edited post but use [itex]\Sigma F = ma[/itex] on each box. You know both m and a.

[tex]\Sigma F_1 = m_1a[/tex]

You now have the net force on box 1. If you drew your free-body diagrams you would also know that

[tex]\Sigma F_1 = F + F_{21}[/tex]

Our last two expressions are both give us the net for on box 1 so we can equate them

[tex]
\begin{align*}
F + F_{21} &= m_1a \\
F_{21} &= m_1a - F \\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Tada! You have the force acting on box 1 by box 2. If you read what I said in my last post you should be able to get [itex]F_12[/itex].

Last edited:
is 435 correct then?

Last edited:
Looking back, I see your problem includes friction. It shouldn't be too hard for you to include that in with what I've given you. Recheck your calculation of acceleration too.

Related to Calculating Forces with Friction and Newton's Laws

1. What is the definition of "Problem Solving: Forces"?

Problem Solving: Forces is a process of identifying and analyzing the forces at play in a given situation in order to create effective solutions for a specific problem. This approach involves understanding the underlying factors that contribute to a problem and using knowledge of forces to address it.

2. What are the key elements of problem solving using forces?

The key elements of problem solving using forces include identifying the problem, understanding the forces at play, brainstorming potential solutions, evaluating the effectiveness of each solution, and implementing the most suitable solution.

3. How can understanding forces lead to more effective problem solving?

Understanding forces allows us to see the bigger picture and identify the root causes of a problem. By considering all the forces that are at play, we can develop more comprehensive and effective solutions that address the underlying issues rather than just the symptoms.

4. What are some common techniques for problem solving using forces?

Some common techniques for problem solving using forces include root cause analysis, force field analysis, and SWOT analysis. These techniques help us to identify the forces that are contributing to a problem and assess their impact on finding a solution.

5. How can problem solving using forces be applied in different fields of study?

Problem solving using forces can be applied in various fields such as engineering, business, psychology, and social sciences. It is a universal approach that can be used to analyze and solve problems in any discipline that involves understanding and managing different forces.