Calculating Forces on Sliding Box

In summary, the question was about determining the magnitudes of the normal force and force of friction on a large box being pushed by a gardener. The solution involved using Newton's law to calculate the normal force and the coefficient of kinetic friction to calculate the force of friction. The answer was found to be Fn = 230 N and Ff= 130 N. The mistake made by the person asking the question was drawing the free-body diagram incorrectly, but it was corrected with the help of the expert.
Tanya Back
Hey

I am having trouble doing this question-->

A gardener exerts a force of 150 N [ 22 degrees below the horizontal] in pushing a large 18 Kg box a distance of 1.6 m. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor is 0.55.
Question -->
Use Newton's law to determine magnitudes of the normal force and force of friction on the box?

Solution :

Fn= Fag perpendicular
= Fgcosa
= (9.8)(18)cos22
= 164 N

Ff= uFn
=0.55(164)
= 89.9 N
My answers are wrong becasue the answer is suppose to be Fn = 230 N and Ff= 130 N
What did i do wrong? how can i fix it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well first of all draw yourself a free-body diagram. The normal force points directly upwards. There are two forces that are pointing downwards. Since there is no up or down motion the normal force must be equal to the two.

ohh k ...so Fg + 150 = Fn ?

Nope, but you're getting closer. The force that the gardener applies is at an angle. So only the vertical component points downwards. Did you draw your free-body diagram?

Oh.. Yah i drew the free-body diagram..and i got something like this -->

its like Fgcos22 + 150cos68 = Fn

Why do you have the cos22 for the force of gravity? I think you might have drawn your free body diagram wrong. Can you show me a crude drawing of it looks like?

OHHHHHH! opps ...i meant to write Fg + 150cos68= Fn
so it's like 174 + 56 = 230... Thank u sooo Much !

Related to Calculating Forces on Sliding Box

1. What is the definition of force on a sliding box?

The force on a sliding box is the push or pull that is applied to the box, causing it to move or change direction.

2. How is the force on a sliding box calculated?

The force on a sliding box can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the box by its acceleration. This is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion: Force = Mass x Acceleration.

3. What factors affect the force on a sliding box?

The force on a sliding box can be affected by the mass of the box, the surface it is sliding on, the friction between the box and the surface, and any external forces acting on the box.

4. How does the angle of the surface affect the force on a sliding box?

The angle of the surface can affect the force on a sliding box by changing the direction and magnitude of the force. For example, a steeper surface will require a greater force to move the box compared to a flat surface.

5. Can the force on a sliding box be negative?

Yes, the force on a sliding box can be negative if it is acting in the opposite direction of the box's motion. This could occur if there is an external force, such as friction, acting against the box's movement.