Calculating Forces on an Inclined Plane

In summary: its ok, just tell me what is wrong and ill work on it!ok so you are saying the coefficient of kinetic friction is .11.
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

A block weighing 73.7 N rests on a plane inclined at 24.3° to the horizontal. The coefficient of the static and kinetic frictions are 0.28 and 0.11 respectively.

A.) What is the minimum magnitude of the force F, parallel to the plane, that will prevent the block from slipping?

B.) What is the minimum magnitude of F that will start the block moving up the plane?

C.) What is the magnitude of F is required to move the block up the plane at constant velocity?

Homework Equations

w = 73.7
theta = 24.3
Mus = 0.28 (Don't know how to make that little symbol lol)
Muk = 0.11

The Attempt at a Solution

A.) F = w sin theta - Mus*wcos theta = 11.52 N

B.) F = fs + wx
Fmin = Mus*wcos theta + wsin theta = 49.14 N

C.) F = Wx + fk
fk = Muk*N = 7.3889
Wx = fs + F = 11.775 + 11.52
fs = Mus*wcos theta

Part C I don't think is right but I don't know what I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does it mean for something to be moving at a constant velocity?

Mindscrape said:
What does it mean for something to be moving at a constant velocity?
It means that it is not accelerating...Newtons first law I think

BuBbLeS01 said:
It means that it is not accelerating...Newtons first law I think

No, that has nothing to do with Newton's first law.

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/CLASS/newtlaws/u2l1a.html

Constant velocity means there is no acceleration, meaning from Newton's second law

F = ma

there is no force since there is no acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ok Newtons second law.
So why isn't it...
F = Wx + fk

What do you mean by F? So, you understand that the forces must sum to zero because there is no acceleration? Also, since velocity is kinetic, you need to use kinetic friction.

-Wx - fk + F = 0

I think you were using static friction. Did you actually get the question wrong, or do you just think you are wrong? It looks like you are right.

Last edited:
the force. Yea I understand that it must = to 0.
so
Wx = fs + F
fk = Muk x W cos theta
?

Looks fine to me. Watch your signs though.

F = fk + Wx

Actually I am sort of confused now that I look that over once more. Wx = mgsinØ, why do you think it is fs + F? What did you do there?

Last edited:
Nevermind I was looking at the wrong thing I think for Wx, but I did try to do that...
F= (Muk x W cos theta) + (mg sin theta) = 49.14 N
but it says its wrong

I get a different answer, make sure you are in degrees and all that.

F = (0.28 x 73.7 cos 24.3) + (73.7 sin 24.3) = 49.14
its in degrees

Kinetic friction coefficient is .11 :)

omg lol i make the dumbest mistakes!

Related to Calculating Forces on an Inclined Plane

1. What is a mass on an inclined plane?

A mass on an inclined plane refers to an object placed on a tilted surface. The plane can be at any angle, and the object experiences gravitational force pulling it down the incline.

2. What factors affect the motion of a mass on an inclined plane?

The motion of a mass on an inclined plane is affected by the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface of the plane. Other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the object may also play a role.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of a mass on an inclined plane?

The steeper the incline, the greater the force of gravity acting on the object, and thus the faster the object will accelerate down the incline. As the angle of the incline decreases, the force of gravity decreases, resulting in slower acceleration.

4. What is the relationship between the mass of the object and its acceleration on an inclined plane?

The greater the mass of the object, the greater the force of gravity acting on it. As a result, the object will experience a greater acceleration down the incline. This relationship is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

5. How does friction affect the motion of a mass on an inclined plane?

Friction between the object and the surface of the incline acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, slowing it down. The coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces, will determine how much the object is slowed down. If there is no friction, the object will slide down the incline with constant acceleration.