Calculating Force on a Torus: Lennard Jones Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the force between two particles on a torus, specifically in a box with periodic boundary conditions. The Lennard Jones potential and its derivatives are used to calculate the force, but modifications need to be made for the torus. The formula for the distance between particles on the torus is also mentioned.
llello
The problem is with calculating the force of a particle by another particle while both particles lie on a torus. By this I mean, if particle i and j are in a box (LxL) and particle i is on the left edge of the box and particle j is on the right edge of the box, the distance used in the force will be [tex] L - \left| x_i - x_j \right| [/tex].

I have 100 particles in a box where each particle obeys the Lennard Jones potential:

[tex] V(x) = 4(\frac{1}{r^{12}}-\frac{1}{r^6} ) [/tex]

So I put in

[tex]r^{2}=x^{2}+y^{2}[/tex] and use [tex]F_{ij}=-\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}\hat x - \frac{\partial V}{\partial y} \hat y [/tex]

and get

[tex] F_{ij} = (24(\frac{2}{r^{14}} - \frac{1}{r^{8}}))*[(x_i - x_j)\hat x + (y_i - y_j)\hat y ][/tex]

for the force of the jth particle on the ith particle. This is all well and good if we are not going to deal with the periodic boundary conditions. I'm not seeing how this would be modified to account for the torus. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, that was the TeX problem. Thanks :)

Also, it might be of interest to know that:

[tex] \left| r_{i,j} \right| = min( \left| x_i - x_j \right|, L - \left| x_i - x_j \right| [/tex] )

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Force on a Torus: Lennard Jones Potential

1. What is a torus?

A torus is a geometric shape that resembles a donut or inner tube. It is a 3-dimensional object with a circular cross-section and a hole in the center.

2. What is the Lennard-Jones potential?

The Lennard-Jones potential is a mathematical formula used to describe the interaction between two neutral atoms or molecules. It takes into account both attractive and repulsive forces between the particles.

3. How is force calculated on a torus using the Lennard-Jones potential?

To calculate the force on a torus using the Lennard-Jones potential, the distance between the particles must first be determined. Then, the potential energy can be calculated using the Lennard-Jones formula. Finally, the force can be calculated by taking the negative derivative of the potential energy with respect to the distance.

4. What factors affect the force on a torus using the Lennard-Jones potential?

The force on a torus using the Lennard-Jones potential is affected by the distance between the particles, as well as the strength of the attractive and repulsive forces. Additionally, the size and shape of the torus can also impact the force calculation.

5. What is the significance of calculating force on a torus using the Lennard-Jones potential?

Calculating the force on a torus using the Lennard-Jones potential is important in understanding the behavior of particles in a given system. It can help scientists make predictions about how particles will interact and how the overall system will behave. This information is crucial in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science.