Calculating Force of Magnetic Slingshot - Soundstone

In summary, the static point charge would be a magnet constantly generating a field that would slingshot a charged particle when placed X distance from the strongest point of the magnet within the field.
soundstone
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to come up with a mathematical formula to calculate the force a magnet will be repelled at based on its current velocity when the charge flips polarity. For example if a point charge is located at (X, Y) and a magnet is being pulled in from position (X + 10, Y + 15) the closer it gets the strong the pull will be as calculated by vector distance and a charge value of the magnets. If when the pulled magnet at (X + 2, Y + 3) flips polarity, it will be shot away from the initial point charge based on the closed in distance between the magnet and initial point charge(ie the closer it is when flipped the stronger the repelling force would be thus making the magnet travel farther away) . I'd like to calculate the new force of repelling away from the point charge. Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Soundstone

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Soundstone
welcome to PF :)

from what I have read, a point charge needs to be moving to generate a magnetic field,
when then could interact with your moving magnet's field

have a look at this discussion here on PF and see if it helps...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=393658

its one of several threads on the subject, you will find others if you do a forum search on point charges

cheers
Dave

Thanks for the quick reply Dave, maybe a point charge isn't the right term. Say what I was referring to above as the static point charge was more like a magnet constantly generating a field. This magnet would be the triggering mechanism to slingshot a charged particle when placed X distance from the strongest point of the magnet within the field. I am sorry if I'm not explaining this correctly, Thanks again.

Related to Calculating Force of Magnetic Slingshot - Soundstone

1. How do you calculate the force of a magnetic slingshot?

The force of a magnetic slingshot can be calculated using the formula F = (B x I)^2 x L, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current in the wire, and L is the length of the wire. This formula is derived from the Lorentz force law, which describes the force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field.

2. What is the role of the soundstone in the magnetic slingshot?

The soundstone is a key component of the magnetic slingshot system as it converts electrical energy into sound energy. When the current in the wire interacts with the magnetic field, it creates vibrations in the soundstone, which in turn produces sound waves.

3. How does the force of a magnetic slingshot compare to other types of slingshots?

The force of a magnetic slingshot can be significantly higher than traditional slingshots as it utilizes the strong force of magnetism. However, the force also depends on the strength of the magnetic field and the current, so it is important to carefully control these variables for optimal results.

4. Can the force of a magnetic slingshot be controlled?

Yes, the force of a magnetic slingshot can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field and the current in the wire. This can be done by changing the distance between the magnets, the number of coils in the wire, or the voltage of the power source.

5. Are there any potential safety concerns when working with a magnetic slingshot?

Yes, there are safety concerns when working with a magnetic slingshot, as it involves strong magnets and electrical currents. It is important to handle the magnets with caution and to follow proper electrical safety protocols when setting up the slingshot. It is also important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when conducting experiments with the magnetic slingshot.