Calculating Force of Charges & Size to Double Magnitude - Homework Help

• Thread starter aurao2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the conversation is about clarifying a problem involving the calculation of force between two point charges. The first part of the problem is to calculate the force between two specific charges placed 40cm apart in air. The second part asks for the charge on a third conductor that would result in the doubling of the force on one of the original charges. The conversation also includes a discussion about the correct value for a specific term in the equation used to solve the problem.
aurao2003

Homework Statement

Hi
I need clarification on this problem. Calculate
a) the force between 2 charges of +1.4nC and +1.6nC on point conductors 40cm apart in air.
b)What size of charge on a third point conductor placed midway between the first two conductors would result in doubling of the magnitude of the force on the 1.4nC charge?

Homework Equations

Coulombs law= (Kq1q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I obtained 1.25 x 10^7N for the first part. For the second part, I stated the new charge as q and the new distance as 20cm. Making the new charge the subject of my formula, i put in the new details. But my result is not correct.

Please any advise. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aurao2003 said:
I obtained 1.25 x 10^7N for the first part.
Please any advise. Thanks

Shouldn't it be 10^-7 ?

and can't tell you the solution

if you can post your solution, i can tell you what you did wrong

cupid.callin said:
Shouldn't it be 10^-7 ?

and can't tell you the solution

if you can post your solution, i can tell you what you did wrong
Yeah! Thanks. Its -7

Related to Calculating Force of Charges & Size to Double Magnitude - Homework Help

1. How do I calculate the force of charges?

To calculate the force of charges, you can use the equation F = k * (q1 * q2 / r^2), where F is the force in Newtons, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges in Coulombs, and r is the distance between the charges in meters.

2. What is the significance of Coulomb's constant in calculating force of charges?

Coulomb's constant, denoted by k, is a fundamental constant in electrostatics that relates the force between two point charges to their charge and distance. It helps to quantify the strength of the electric force and is essential in calculations involving charges and their interactions.

3. How can I calculate the size of charges needed to double the magnitude of force?

The size of charges needed to double the magnitude of force can be calculated using the equation q2 = (2F * r^2) / (k * q1), where q2 is the new charge, F is the original force, r is the distance between the charges, k is Coulomb's constant, and q1 is the original charge.

4. What is the relationship between the distance between charges and the force of attraction or repulsion?

The force of attraction or repulsion between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

5. How does the magnitude of charges affect the force between them?

The magnitude of charges has a direct relationship with the force between them. This means that as the magnitude of charges increases, the force between them also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation F = k * (q1 * q2 / r^2).