Calculating Force of Asteroid Slowing Down

In summary, the problem involves an asteroid with a mass of 4.10 x 10^4 kg that experiences a change in speed from 7100 m/s to 5700 m/s over a distance of 1.50 x 10^6 m. The question asks to find the magnitude F of the force acting on the asteroid. The attempt at a solution involved using the formula F = W/(s(cos(theta))), where W = -3.6736e11 J, s = distance, and theta = angle. However, since the angle was not given, it was not possible to accurately solve the problem. The conversation also touches on the complexity of the question and the difficulty of solving it without all the necessary information
ChairmanMao

Homework Statement

The asteroid has a mass of 4.10 x 10^4 kg, and the force causes its speed to change from 7100 m/s to 5700 m/s.

If the asteroid slows down over a distance of 1.50 x 10^6 m, determine the magnitude F of the force.

Homework Equations

w = -3.6736e11 J (I figured this out from a question before it that I didn't post)
F = W/(s(cos(theta)))

The Attempt at a Solution

F = (-3.6736e11) / ((1.50 x 10^6)(cos(theta)))

I was just wondering how you would find theta for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your s=distance? also since when was work a vector quantity? and theta should be zero since the problem never mentions any angles.

Yes. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

check my edit

I got it. Thanks for your help.

No problem just curious is this high school physics?

it seems that you have the right formulas. maybe you just complicated the question in high school.it wants us to find out the force in a giving distance, assuming that the force must be a constant of vector in the same direction of movement.

but for physics, i quite agree with you. we can't figure it out without theta.
conclusion is that:don't take too much time for the question in the books.

badreligion said:
No problem just curious is this high school physics?

Actually, yes. It was a webassign problem and the only one I had left so I was pretty anxious to get it done before it was time for me to submit it (hence why I ended up here after a few seconds on google lol).

Related to Calculating Force of Asteroid Slowing Down

1. How is the force of an asteroid slowing down calculated?

The force of an asteroid slowing down is calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass multiplied by acceleration. In this case, the mass of the asteroid and its change in velocity (or acceleration) are used to calculate the force.

2. What factors affect the force of an asteroid slowing down?

Factors that can affect the force of an asteroid slowing down include the mass and velocity of the asteroid, as well as any external forces acting on it, such as gravity or atmospheric drag. The composition of the asteroid and its trajectory can also impact the force.

3. How does the force of an asteroid slowing down compare to its initial force?

The force of an asteroid slowing down is typically much smaller than its initial force. This is because as the asteroid approaches a planet or other object, it experiences a decrease in velocity and thus a decrease in force. Additionally, external forces acting on the asteroid can further decrease its force.

4. How is the force of an asteroid slowing down related to its impact?

The force of an asteroid slowing down is directly related to the impact it will have on a planet or other object. A larger force means a more powerful impact, while a smaller force means a less destructive impact. However, other factors such as the size and composition of the asteroid also play a role in the potential impact.

5. Can the force of an asteroid slowing down be predicted accurately?

While the force of an asteroid slowing down can be calculated using mathematical equations, accurately predicting it can be challenging due to the many variables involved. Factors such as the composition and trajectory of the asteroid, as well as any external forces, can impact the accuracy of the prediction. Additionally, the exact force may also vary depending on the specific conditions of the impact, such as the density of the atmosphere or the angle of impact.