Calculating Force Needed to Break Objects with a Maul

In summary, the conversation explored the idea of predicting the force needed to break a maul and how it varies depending on different factors such as materials and frequency of force. While there is no general equation for this, researching fatigue life is a good starting point. It was also mentioned that the process of breaking an object can be complex and affected by various factors, using the example of glass. Ultimately, the conversation concluded that the only way to truly determine the force needed to break an object is to actually test it.
Cemelion
I was splitting some wood the other day with an old maul and the maul broke. I was wondering if anyone knows of a formula to predict or give a sum of the force needed over time to break said maul.

so what i really want to know is how many times can i hit something with 600lbs of pressure with a maul that breaks after 1200lbs of pressure or.. how many beers can i open with a force of .000001lbs with a bottlecap remove that breaks after 70lbs of pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hahaha There were actually no theory for that problem.
The only way to find out is to do it until it get broken.

There is plenty of theory actually, but no general equation for it. It depends so heavily on the nature of the force, how often it occurs, the shape and material of the object and many other things. Look up fatigue life. That would be a good place to start.

kk, thanks guys... not a big deal just curious... i look into fatigue life

Way too complex for almost all materiels... ordinary glass for instance will deform over a long time due to pressure or gravity (old glass bottles you find in dumps are folded flat, old stained glass windows get thin at the top and thick at the bottom). Then, if you fracture glass, the speed of advancement of the crack can exceed 5000 feet per second, yet even what appears to be the motionless end of a static crack is really still continuing to advance very slowly as the molecular bonds maintain a minimum breaking rate (on the order of hundreds of bonds per hour for typical pane glass)... and that's just "simple" glass.

Related to Calculating Force Needed to Break Objects with a Maul

1. How do I calculate the force needed to break an object with a maul?

To calculate the force needed to break an object with a maul, you will need to know the weight of the object, the type of maul being used, and the material of the object. You can then use the formula: Force = Mass x Acceleration, where the acceleration is determined by the type of maul and material of the object. Alternatively, you can use a force gauge or tension meter to measure the force directly.

2. Can the force needed to break an object with a maul differ for different materials?

Yes, the force needed to break an object with a maul can vary depending on the material of the object. Objects made of softer materials, such as wood, may require less force to break compared to objects made of harder materials, such as metal.

3. Is there a specific technique for using a maul to break an object?

Yes, there are various techniques that can be used when using a maul to break an object. Some common techniques include using a chopping motion, striking the object at its weakest point, or using the maul as a lever to apply force to the object. The technique used will depend on the type of maul and the material of the object.

4. How can I ensure accurate calculations when determining the force needed to break an object with a maul?

To ensure accurate calculations, it is important to use precise measurements for the weight of the object and the force applied by the maul. It may also be helpful to conduct multiple tests and take an average of the results for a more accurate determination of the force needed.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a maul to break objects?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when using a maul to break objects. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection, and making sure the area is clear of any bystanders. It is also important to use the maul carefully and follow proper techniques to avoid injury.