Calculating Force from Atmospheric Pressure on Sheila's Palm

In summary, the question asks for the force exerted on Sheila's palm by the atmosphere, given that the palm has an area of 0.0017m2 and the atmospheric pressure is 100,000 Pa. The formula for pressure is F/A, and by manipulating it, we can get F = P*A. After solving, the force is calculated to be 58823529.41.
Gamer_Hedwig
ok my problem is that the question asks
The palm of Sheila's hand has an area of 0.0017m2.If the atmospheric pressure on the palm is 100,000 Pa, what force is being exerted on Sheila's palm by the atmosphere?

I know the formula is not P=F/A
I know you have to change the formula around but I don't know which way...
is it F=P/A?Or something esle?

Thanks for people that are answering!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Um...can't remember this formula off the top of my head, but if you start with P=F/A, you can't get it to F=P/A.

Pressure is F/A. Manipulating it gets you F=PA

P = F / A leads to

F = P*A

thanks...
i got the answers as 58823529.41

Related to Calculating Force from Atmospheric Pressure on Sheila's Palm

1. What is atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure is the force exerted by the weight of the air in the Earth's atmosphere. It is measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or millibars (mb).

2. How does atmospheric pressure affect weather?

Atmospheric pressure plays a crucial role in determining weather patterns. Areas of high pressure typically bring clear and dry weather, while low pressure areas usually bring cloudy and wet conditions. Changes in atmospheric pressure can also indicate the movement of air masses, leading to changes in temperature and precipitation.

3. How is atmospheric pressure measured?

Atmospheric pressure is typically measured using a barometer, which measures the weight of the air pushing down on a unit area. There are various types of barometers, including mercury barometers, aneroid barometers, and electronic barometers.

4. How does altitude affect atmospheric pressure?

The higher the altitude, the lower the atmospheric pressure. This is because as you move higher in the atmosphere, there is less air above you, causing the weight of the air to decrease. This is why it is more difficult to breathe at high altitudes, as there is less oxygen in the air due to the lower pressure.

5. How does atmospheric pressure impact air travel?

Atmospheric pressure plays a crucial role in air travel, particularly during takeoff and landing. Pilots use altimeters to measure the pressure and determine the altitude of the aircraft. Changes in pressure can also affect aircraft performance, so pilots must constantly monitor and adjust for changes in atmospheric pressure during flight.