Calculating Force Between 2 Conductors with Constant Currents

This allows us to integrate the magnetic field from one conductor over the entire length of the other conductor. In summary, the force between two parallel conductors of equal and finite length is given by integrating the magnetic field from one conductor over the entire length of the other conductor, with boundaries set at points on the line connecting the centers of the two conductors with the same angle $\alpha$ with the direction of the conductor.
Petar Mali

Homework Statement

Is given two parallel conductors of equal and finite length [tex]L[/tex]. The distance between them is [tex]a[/tex]. On these conductors flow constant currents [tex]I_1[/tex], [tex]I_2[/tex] in same dirrections. If the line which connecting their centars built angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] whith dirrection of conductor find the force that the first conductor interract to second.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In solution is force given by

[tex]\vec{F}_{21}=I_2\int^{\frac{L}{2}+actg\alpha}_{-\frac{L}{2}+actg\alpha}dz\vec{e}_z\times \vec{B}_1[/tex]

Why the boundaries are [tex]-\frac{L}{2}+actg\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\frac{L}{2}+actg\alpha[/tex]?

Tnx for your answer!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The two conductors are parallel, so the magnetic field from each conductor will be in the same direction. The line that connects the centers of the two conductors forms an angle $\alpha$ with the direction of the conductor. Thus, the force between the two conductors is given by: \vec{F}_{21}=I_2\int^{\frac{L}{2}+actg\alpha}_{-\frac{L}{2}+actg\alpha}dz\vec{e}_z\times \vec{B}_1The boundaries are set in this way because they represent the points on the line connecting the centers of the two conductors which have the same angle $\alpha$ with the direction of the conductor.

Related to Calculating Force Between 2 Conductors with Constant Currents

1. What is the formula for calculating the force between two conductors with constant currents?

The formula for calculating the force between two conductors with constant currents is F = (μ0 x I1 x I2 x L) / (2π x d), where F is the force in Newtons, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two conductors, L is the length of the conductors, and d is the distance between them.

2. How does the distance between the two conductors affect the force between them?

The force between two conductors with constant currents is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa. Therefore, the force will be stronger if the two conductors are closer together.

3. What is the significance of the currents in the formula for calculating force?

The currents in the formula represent the amount of electric charge flowing through the conductors. The greater the currents, the stronger the force between the conductors will be. This is because the force is directly proportional to the product of the two currents.

4. How does the length of the conductors affect the force between them?

The length of the conductors also affects the force between them. The longer the conductors, the stronger the force will be. This is because the force is directly proportional to the product of the length of the conductors and the two currents.

5. Can this formula be used for any type of conductor?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of conductor as long as the currents are constant and the distance between the conductors is small compared to the length of the conductors. However, it is most commonly used for long, straight conductors.