Calculating Force and Torque for Moving Mass on Wheels

In summary, the problem involves moving a mass of 25Kg with a speed of 12m/s for a distance of 15 meters on aluminum alloy rails using a 4-wheel system. The necessary formulas to calculate the force, torque, time, and acceleration are provided, but the complexity of the problem may require simplifying assumptions. The rotational inertia must also be calculated to solve the problem.
fox2005eng

Homework Statement

Hi for all, basically I have a mass of 25Kg, want to move this mass with speed upto 12m/s for 15 meter long, where the mass held on 4 wheel (R= 50mm) and moving on aluminum alloy rails. I want to know the force needed and torque required, so I can be able to choose the suitable DC motor required.
actually I have tried most formulas but with no luck, as I don't know the friction coefficient.
However,
what is the suitable formulas are required here according to my question?
steps of calculations if possible?
Thanks in Advance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1 – Find the time:
Given:
Velocity = 12 (m/s).
V: Velocity (m/s).
x: Distance (m).
t: Time (sec).
According to the rail length, which is = 14.9728 (m)
Time taken from the beginning of the rail until the end at speed of 12 (m/s) is:
t=V/x
= 1.2477 (seconds) taken from start of the rail until the end.
2- Find the acceleration:
V: Final velocity = 12(m/s)
V0: Initial velocity = 0 (m/s)
a: Acceleration (m/s2).
t: Time (seconds).
V=V0+2at
a = 9.62 (m/s2).
3- Find the Force:
Mass of the machine is 25 Kg , acceleration is 9.62 (m/s2), by using equation of motion can obtain the required force, by the following formula:
Newton second law:
F=ma
F: Force (N).
m: Mass = 25 Kg.
a: Acceleration = (m/s2).
Assume no friction "Ignore Friction":
F= 240.5 (N).
4- Find required torque:
Torque depends on force:
T = F x r sin theta ,
F= 240.5 (N)
r: wheel radius = 0.05 (m).
theta : Angle = 90.
T= 12 (N.m).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing to do is to find the acceleration of the cart given a force F. To do this, draw free-body diagrams on the wheels as well as the body, write out Newton's second law and the rotational second law, and solve. This will get quite complicated, and you'll need to make some simplifying assumptions.

You will, by the way, find that acceleration is independent of the coefficient of friction as long as the wheels don't slip.

ideasrule said:
You will, by the way, find that acceleration is independent of the coefficient of friction as long as the wheels don't slip.

it seems to complicated for me.

what about calculations that I made above ?

is it wrong ?

thanks for advance.

ideasrule said:
The first thing to do is to find the acceleration of the cart given a force F. To do this, draw free-body diagrams on the wheels as well as the body, write out Newton's second law and the rotational second law, and solve. This will get quite complicated, and you'll need to make some simplifying assumptions.

how to find the rotational inertia ?

thanks

Related to Calculating Force and Torque for Moving Mass on Wheels

1. What is motion?

Motion is the change in position of an object over time. It can be described in terms of distance, speed, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is friction?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities between the surfaces and can be affected by factors such as the type of materials and the amount of force applied.

3. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either help or hinder motion depending on the situation. It can provide traction and help objects move, such as a car's tires on the road. However, friction can also slow down or stop motion, such as the brakes on a bike or the resistance in air against a moving object.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, which create a layer between two surfaces and reduce the amount of direct contact. Additionally, smoother surfaces or using materials with lower coefficients of friction can also help to reduce friction.

5. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding past each other when they are not in motion. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that acts on two surfaces when they are in motion against each other. In most cases, the force of static friction is greater than kinetic friction.