Calculating Force and Pressure: Vacuum Cleaner and Octopus Example"

• Thread starter Izmad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation centers around finding the greatest force that a very powerful vacuum cleaner and an octopus can exert. The equation p=F/A is used to find the force, and the pressure is calculated using the equations P=P(atm)+pgh and P=P(atm)+(density of salt water)(g)(depth). The units for pressure should be kept consistent and more decimal places should be used to avoid rounding errors. The final answer for the force is 283.2N for problem b, and for problem a, the atmospheric pressure should be used to calculate the force.
Izmad

Homework Statement

a) A very powerful vacuum cleaner has a hose 2.91 cm in diameter. With no nozzle on the hose, what is the weight of the heaviest brick that the cleaner can lift?

(b) A very powerful octopus uses one sucker of diameter 2.91 cm on each of the two shells of a clam in an attempt to pull the shells apart. Find the greatest force that the octopus can exert in salt water 32.3 m depth.

Homework Equations

p=F/A
P=P(atm)+pgh
A=pi*r^2
density of salt water=1.025kg/m^3
P(atm)=1.013*10^5 Pa

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little confused. This is what I did with question b.
Pressure=P(atm)+(1.025)(9.8)(32.3)=1.016*10^5
A=pi*(.0146)^2=.0007
Area*Pressure=Force .0007*1.016*10^5=71.12 N
THIS IS WRONG. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Can someone please explain

And i don't know what to do with question a. I found the area of the vacuum. But I'm not sure how to figure out a mass. Does P(atm) play a role in this? Could i get some direction please?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your units aren't right... what units are you using for pressure?

Your method for part b looks right to me...

use the same method for part a... what is the pressure in part a?

No pressure is given for part a. 71.12 is wrong. So, i must be missing something.

both problems are in Newtons.

also, maybe pressure= mg/A plays a role.

I'm still confused. :(

Last edited:
Izmad said:
also, maybe pressure= mg/A plays a role.

I still confused. :(

what units of pressure are you using? 1.013*10^5 implies you're using Pa. That's fine.

But then you need to use density in kg/m^3. what units is 1.025? I think you need 1025kg/m^3

Use 1025 instead of 1.025.

Last edited:
this is what i did.

1.013x10^5+ (1025)(9.8)(32.3)=4.261x10^5 Pa

4.261x10^5*.0007=298.2N

This answer was close but no cigar. It was within 10% of the correct value.
However, I'm still not sure what that value is. :(

Further help would be very much appreciated.

thank you

Izmad said:
this is what i did.

1.013x10^5+ (1025)(9.8)(32.3)=4.261x10^5 Pa

4.261x10^5*.0007=298.2N

This answer was close but no cigar. It was within 10% of the correct value.
However, I'm still not sure what that value is. :(

Further help would be very much appreciated.

thank you

you are rounding too much. especially the area 0.0007... and use the exact value for radius 0.01455m.

you need to keep more decimal places.

don't round till the very end, when you get your final answer.

Ahh, well I just changed the float of my calculator to 7. This has helped. I got my final answer to be 283.2N. Thanks for the advice learningphysics.

Also, are there any ideas in regards to problem a? I'm still unsure how to arrive at a mass, and what pressures to use.

thank you

Izmad said:
Ahh, well I just changed the float of my calculator to 7. This has helped. I got my final answer to be 283.2N. Thanks for the advice learningphysics.

Also, are there any ideas in regards to problem a? I'm still unsure how to arrive at a mass, and what pressures to use.

thank you

The pressure would just be atmospheric pressure ie: 1.013*10^5 Pa. other than that everything is just like part b.

You get the force using pressure... then

we need:

Fpressure - mg = 0

area*pressure=mass*gravity

wow, i don't know what I'm doing wrong, i can get the correct answer. :(

but thank you very much for your help. You are wonderful. :)

Izmad said:
area*pressure=mass*gravity

wow, i don't know what I'm doing wrong, i can get the correct answer. :(

but thank you very much for your help. You are wonderful. :)

thanks. you're welcome. did you mean you can't get the correct answer? what number are you getting?

Related to Calculating Force and Pressure: Vacuum Cleaner and Octopus Example"

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that measures the interaction between two objects. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion.

What are the different types of forces?

There are four fundamental types of forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. Electromagnetic force is the force between electrically charged particles. Strong nuclear force holds the nucleus of an atom together. Weak nuclear force is responsible for radioactive decay.

What is pressure?

Pressure is the amount of force applied per unit area. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction. The unit of pressure is Pascal (Pa), which is equal to 1 Newton per square meter.

What is the relationship between force and pressure?

Force and pressure are closely related. Pressure is directly proportional to force and inversely proportional to the area over which the force is applied. This means that the greater the force applied over a smaller area, the higher the pressure will be.

How is force and pressure measured?

Force is measured using a device called a force meter or a spring scale. Pressure is measured using a device called a manometer or a pressure gauge. These devices measure the amount of force or pressure applied and display the results in units such as Newtons or Pascals.